Puch Newport centrifugal clutch not engaging?

Joseph Ferguson /

I recently bought my first moped, a 1977 Puch Newport. After cleaning out the cylinder, carb, and exhaust, replacing the spark plug, and replacing the transmission fluid (among other things), I just started it for the first time today. It's a bit finicky at this point, but I can get it to run. The main issue is that the centrifugal clutch doesn't engage, so I have to keep the starter clutch lever depressed in order for it to keep running and not conk out.

Before I dive in and start looking around the clutch for potential problems, does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Anything in particular I should be looking out for when I open it up?

Re: Puch Newport centrifugal clutch not engaging?

Wesley Ambrosini /

That's not really how it works. You only engage the clutch by hand to start then it idles, when the ROMs reach a certain point it engages again to put power to the wheel

Seems like the real problem is it isn't idling

Check out Freda guide because not idling could be one of many things. (edited)

Joseph Ferguson /

I’ll definitely look into that, as it is having trouble idling at this point. However, I still wonder if there may be some issue with the clutch engaging. See, I can get it running with the starter clutch depressed, but even if I get it up to, say, 10 mph using that, if I release it, the centrifugal clutch will not be engaged (or at least that’s how it seems) – I can rev the engine, but it’s not actually propelling the moped at all.

Wesley Ambrosini /

Ohh that makes sense. I thought you meant on the stand.

Anything from this point on is assuming that everything else is spot on, timing and tuning wise

Gotta pop open that clutch cover and see what's what. A clutch puller from treats will go a long way, you can make one of you're impatient. Perhaps the nut backed off and the bell is spinning in there. The trans on an e50 is so simple a problem hopefully is obvious

Dirty30 Dillon /

Your clutch is off the taper. Hitting the starter clutch in pushes it back into the taper until you get going.

Pull the cover and reassemble clutch

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Your clutch is off the taper. Hitting the starter clutch in pushes it

> back into the taper until you get going.

>

> Pull the cover and reassemble clutch

If that’s the case, and he’s been smearing it around on there, do you think he should lap the two together before torquing down the nut?

Dirty30 Dillon /

They're both lubricated, hardened steel, the falling shouldn't be too bad.

He should certainly lap the crank and clutch hub, given that wear, and also it was probably not meshing to begin with.

Does anyone think the woodruff key that holds the clutch would have maybe sheered off? Just throwing that one out there... (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

In my scenario the key is gone. They are superficial really anyways

Wesley Ambrosini /

Update the thread when you find out what happened so some other poor soul can find the answers they seek

Joseph Ferguson /

Will do. Right now I’m just sorting out some other issues first (cleaning the points, adjusting the point gap and timing, replacing the old throttle cable, etc.). Figure it should be a lot easier to test how the clutch is working once I know everything else is functioning as it should.

Joseph Ferguson /

Well, it was pretty obvious when I opened it up. The shoes are basically disintegrated. If anyone's got recommendations regarding where I could buy new shoes, let me know. (I only see the ones on Treats with mixed reviews and the ones on Denny Cycles which don't have any reviews.) Or would it just be better to replace the whole clutch?

Like on your other post about clutch replacement. Put up a buy/sell for one and see if someone can get you a stock one. Or if you go with one from treats, make sure to see what type of fluid should be run. Most likely just the ATF that would have been in there before. The replacement clutches they sell on treats should be adequate for a stock setup, but may start falling apart too soon under a kitted engine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account