Re: Help identify this new clicky sound coming from my Grande

Dirty30 Dillon /

So yeah, gotta check your gaps anytime. It also isn't accurate right now because who knows of there's stuff behind them from the smearing.

Also, why did you press out your bushing? That's pretty much a non-servicable part unless you have the factory reamer. Even then, it's cheaper to get a roller crank and rebuild.

Definate problem. There is a specified ring gap. It's on crazy wayne's old thing...Its on my ipad

> Micah Shafer Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> No no the rings themselves touch dude

I hope you mean the ring ends touch .

The olympia line of cylinder kits are kind of hit and miss as far as quality control. You defintaly want to remove the rings and place them in the new cylinder when doing the build.

That kind of explains the noise. Since the rings ends are touching at room temp, When the heat from running starts to expand all the parts the ring will become tighter in the bore and every time the stressed ring passes the exhaust port it pooches out of the ring groove into the open air of the exhaust window.

As it passes back onto the cylinder wall it barely catches the edge of the ring compressing it back into the ring grove with a discernible click sound.

This whole build was on the brink of death.

Dressing back the ends of the rings with some 400 grit paper will quickly give you the visible gap you need.

That was a great explanation cheetahchrome thank you. I knew better when I rushed into slapping this kit on too. I was power hungry and nothing was going to stop me. It was a good year and half of blasting and we'll worth the $89 I spent on it on sale lol. Heck I got the entire moped for $500 in working condition all stock from the original old old owner on a golf course near my house. He even found the original key to the fork lock he dug up for me and we became friends and I hung out for like a couple hours talking about how mopeds were when he remembers purchasing this one. About choosing witch one he wanted and what all he has done to it over the years. It's the stories about this mopeds life that really sold me. What a great hobby.

Wait! you say that you have run this Olympia kit with no trouble for a year and a half?

Now its starting to make noise? I just dont know now. I was under the impression that this was a new build that you recently did and it has been making noise since starting. Hmmmmm.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, ring gap after a year is not the cause. More likely your ring seats are loaded with carbon/melted alu.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, ring gap after a year is not the cause. More likely your ring

> seats are loaded with carbon/melted alu.

[quote] There is no gap, they touch inside the cylinder, [/quote]

If the ring landings where loaded , the ring gap would be wider , not closed .

But , I suppose the load could have filled the gap and appeared to be part of the ring . I've never seen that happen , but ... ;)

Yeah in my original post I said I have been running this set up all summer with no problems. It's actually been longer then one summer more like year and half. But Before that I ran stock for a year and got power hungry so I installed this kit. So yeah I'm guna go back to stock for now.

I mentioned the rings because they didn't look right when we went to feeler gauge it. This was all recently after the fact cuz of curiosity. They never got gapped properly but I sorta got away with it. The real issue was all the soft seizures and heat and friction on the 12mm pin and on the stock copper bushing that had also seen a little little friction damage and was in need of replacement. It's almost like I ran it without oil mixed.. litterly that would explain everything but I would Never ever do that and I always mix and shake before I even poor it in.

Here is the bad blued and tortured 12mm pin that was sticking and very hard to remove. Has a tiny tiny spot of copper in there too u prolly can't see it.

IMG_20200906_204416007.jpg

Yup , that pin definitely got hot , probably more than once .

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, this is pretty typical failed stock bushing.

You should not attempt to replace the bushing, just get a roller crank.

Screenshot_20200906-212938.png

Yer totally right I know and u even called it. I'm just torn between giving the new bushing a gosh darn try and fail again next year possibly or it could be good for years. Or just throw down the money and time for a modern bearing crank. I can definitely do that and have plenty of help if I need it. Well shoot guys sorry this thread was long and maybe a little confusing. Iv been reading yer posts for years before I was a member and helped alot.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Like I said earlier, you can attempt to replace the bushing but without an install tool meant for it and a correct reamer, it will.be more likely to fail than the factory.

A Top crank is only $99, plus the $18~ for a bottom end rebuild kit.

IMG_20200915_221246214.jpg
Polish_20200925_030834720.jpg
IMG_20200915_223335875.jpg

Fixed it myself! Pressed in the new riffled bronze con rod bushing with my home made solution c-clamp and fabric tape and the perfect socket size. Then i used a 12mm flex hone in my drill for a just a few mins with oil. Finished that off with some 1500 grit sand paper rolled up tight slowly and surely. I even finished it off inside the bushing with some stropping compound on a thin leather strap ;)

Anyway that wrist pin loves its new home. Old cleaned stock piston went back on with new rings and a freshly deglazed cylinder. New hand cut head and base gasket installed. Fired up first peddle. I have been riding for a week now grooving it in and ripping it up.

Gotta love 'making' stuff work . ;)

Nice work

Yes, Great job. Now your confidant

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account