1980 Honda Express NC50 timing

Jason Majernik /

I can’t seem to find a good answer to this question searching the forum, so, forgive me if this is dumb.

I’m trying to set the timing on my 1980 Honda express NC50. I set the points gap properly (0.014), but when I do the light test, it changes dimness between the F and T mark. According to the manual, I have to move the Points assembly forward, but doing that increases the points gap. Is that the point of this? The points and timing adjustments are on the same assembly, so moving one changes the other. I have a good coil and condenser. 100% sure if it.

I’m doing this because of excessive smoking and lean conditions. I’ve changed the crankshaft gaskets (thanks for the YouTube video, ChurioZ!) and before I test it, I want to get this right to avoid doing it again (do it all at once since I have it apart, if you get where I’m at).

It seems like it might be firing late based on the light test, but I can’t seem to get the points at 0.014 AND adjust the timing at the same time without one effecting the other. Any advice or tips? Maybe the point gap needs to simply be wider?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Re: 1980 Honda Express NC50 timing

Jack Rutherford /

Excessive smoking and lean condition seem to be at odds unless the smoke was caused by burning trans oil. If that’s the case then your new left seal should fix that. And two new seals would help with a lean condition. Keep the points at .0014 and test on her.

Jason Majernik /

Should I not worry about the timing so much? I’m pretty sure it was leaking tranny oil into the crankcase. Also, should I clean out whatever oil might be in there with a rag first? Or can I just try to burn it off?

Thanks

Jack Rutherford /

Depends how bad it was leaking. I’d try to clean out as much as you can then test her and see how she runs. I had one where the left seal was so bad that she’d fire sparks out the exhaust after 10 minutes of riding.

Jason Majernik /

Churio, you were right. It ran fairly well. Smoking has completely stopped, but it’s still running a bit lean. I identified a couple of air leaks using carb cleaner. One around the head gasket and also around the intake gasket. I have a treats aluminum gasket on the head gasket. Does the gasket bevel point to ward the spark plug? That’s what I assumed when I put it in? I can add some gasket sealer to fix that, too. Should I consider gasket sealer on the intake gasket or should I just replace the whole thing? Can I add some silicone (or something...suggestions?) around the edges for it to help or will that cause more problems? I really don’t want to have to change the intake gasket. Is the intake gasket tied in with the reed valves? Maybe just get new reed valves? Any thoughts or suggestions? The intake leak appears to be isolated to one corner (I had to loosen this screw to release the wire assembly to install a new stator, but it’s tight). I don’t want to take that all apart to fix this leak. Would prefer a quick fix if possible. I’m going on working on this for months...

Ant tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jack Rutherford /

I’m not sure on the gasket bevel although I think I remember reading something about its orientation somewhere. I wouldn’t use gasket sealer between head and jug. You may want to sand the head flat using 120ish grit or 150 grit paper taped to a piece of glass. Use figure eight pattern when sanding. Clean well. Aluminum sands quickly and easily. You can tell when it’s flat by just looking at it. Or sharpie it up and then sand off the sharpie. You can also sand the bottom of the intake. Either get a new intake gasket or Ive used sealer on intake mating surfaces. No need for new reeds.

You can also sand the mating surface on cylinder jug to flatten that out. I’ve sanded head and jug before in order to run no head gasket at all.

Isn’t that a Steely Dan song? “No gasket at all”. (edited)

Jason Majernik /

Steely Dan! Yes! Although I’m not quite sure those lyrics are right. Close.

This is helpful. Still have some work to do, but it’ll be worth it. I’m pretty excited about the crankcase gasket seal stopping all of the smoking.

Jason Majernik /

Meant to ask this, too: taped to Glass? Why glass?

Use an automotive timing light power by a car battery with the induction pick-up on the moped sparkplug wire. It works well. (edited)

> Jason Majernik Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Meant to ask this, too: taped to Glass? Why glass?

Unless you have something else that is known to be flat and unforgiving , you should use a piece of thick flat glass . ;)

Jason Majernik /

I thought that might be the case. I get it. Something flat, straight edged and heavy that will sand evenly across the entire surface.

I didn’t get it, but now I do. I kept wondering how I was going to sand it evenly....I think I’d have figured it out sooner or later. Maybe. After destroying something.

Thanks again, everyone! Sometimes you have to spell it out for me.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account