Quick wiring question external conenser

I know it’s been asked before but thru my searching I can’t find the answer to this specific question. My condenser fried and I replaced it with an internal one I got off treats. While I was in there I figured why not try to just upgrade and get and external installed. My question is, through my research in the forums I see everyone saying to splice it into the grey wire for the ignition, but is it posible just to cut the blue wire from the old condenser and just run that out into the external. I tried it but haven’t got it running yet, but I’m not quite sure why it wouldn’t work if that’s where the old condenser is connected? Thanks in advance, sorry if it’s been answered and I just can’t run a search engine

F881EB53-AE4C-4E1B-87E9-935F74E06E36.jpeg
F4A26029-DACD-4B98-A0EB-57845F546DCA.jpeg
56AD4DF0-5174-45BC-B201-FE6614B8CA83.jpeg

Re: Quick wiring question external conenser

Regardless of the color of the wires, the condenser wire goes to the power wire from the positive side of the coil to the points. And the body if the condenser needs to be grounded to the frame.

Easiest way to do it is to mount the condenser to one of the coil bracket bolts (that'll ground it) and run the wire to the positive on the coil.

If your internal condenser is working, you don't need two. But you can mount an external and leave the wire loose as a backup in case the internal one fails when you're out riding.

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Easiest way to do it is to mount the condenser to one of the coil

> bracket bolts (that'll ground it) and run the wire to the positive on

> the coil.

>

I always bring the condenser wire right to the points screw that has the coil wire attached .

I said "easiest." This way you don't have to pull the flywheel off.

Here's my emergency set-up. Plug and go.

IMG_20200903_113152.jpg

Better pic

IMG_20200903_113604.jpg

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Better pic

I like that . Easy access and simple . ;)

I guess I'm just use to internal HT coils .

Cool thank you! I was using color of wire as a better visual reference for the pictures. I think I as being dumb and didn’t ground the condenser so when I have time I will do that. By the way what coil is that you have on yours that looks very convenient to repair!

It's a 12v lucas coil from a vintage triumph motorcycle.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account