Puch ZA50 New Clutch Cable

Hello, my clutch cable snapped and I would like to replace it, but I am having trouble finding one that looks the same. I am totally new to this and I accidentally unscrewed the longer adjuster nut along with the screw that had the cable in it. I managed to get it back on again, but I am not sure if this will cause problems when I get a new cable on. This is a problem for another day, but now I just want to get the cable attached.

I heard you can attach a brake cable instead, would that be worth it at this point or would I be opening an unnecessary can of worms?

Here are two of the cables I have found, will either of these work? One is a universal cable off treatland and the other is off ebay. Does anyone have an idea where I can buy a new clutch cable if not? I have the PC-601 Style.

clutch-cable-P004-2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
IMG_20200831_162534525.jpg

Re: Puch ZA50 New Clutch Cable

If this is the one you're talking about it should work fine. I have friends that use bicycle cables for the starter cable on a ZA

https://www.treatland.tv/moped-dual-nubbed-clutch-cable-p/clutch-cable-p004.htm

Ok thank you, I saw someone commented that it was very thick and needed some modifications to work on both ends. I'll buy it though and see how it fits mine. Edit: I have a 1979 model, but I'm not sure which one since I inherited it. (edited)

> Alex Hawk Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ok thank you, I saw someone commented that it was very thick and needed

> some modifications to work on both ends. I'll buy it though and see how

> it fits mine. Edit: I have a 1979 model, but I'm not sure which one

> since I inherited it.

It's mopeds, you're overthinking it, no matter what you buy you'll have to fuck with it a little bit til it fits. Make whatever you can get work and don't look back

Haha, I'm still very new to this but that's what I'm learning. Thanks for your help, I just ordered it.

The za50 has two clutch cables. One resides I side the engine case, connects to the starter clutch plate lever thingy and attaches to a longer cable that comes out of the adjuster and up to the handlebars.

If the inner cable broke, you need to disassemble the transmission to replace it. If it's the long cable, you can get access behind the adjuster and replace it.

It looks like you broke the long cable, but you need to check. Because you can, and someone might have replaced the dual cable setup with one bicycle cable...

If you pull that nut off and there isn't a separate cable inside, you've got an easy yet complicated job ahead.

up shits creek /

are we gonna talk about your fuel filter being upside down at all?

Overpriced Parts /

> up shits creek Wrote:

> are we gonna talk about your fuel filter being upside down at all?

Don’t know what you’re talking about It, filter looks correct to me, The clear part is to show debris, if you have it the other way it will pack up quickly

Yeah that's the correct way, you can even see the directional arrow on the filter in the pic

This is what the bottom of the top screw looks like, which means I have a second cable in the engine since the first one ends behind the screw. I'm hoping it won't be an issue that I unscrewed both of the top nuts since I was able to get the long one back onto the threads, but I'll find out once I get the other cable on.

IMG_20200901_162318731.jpg

You might be ok with the inside starter cable, but if you have not done so already you need to open up the transmission anyway to replace your shift dampening pucks. They are a crumbly red mess in there right now.

Great response, I'm a wrench for over 30 years and over 13 bikes.

Freinds of mine ALL want one, "try and find one first ".

Then be ready to reinvent the wheel and MAKE it work!

Just because you have a Fancy phone you're not always going to be able to get the part you want!

I hate returns !

Yeah the shift pucks thing is a great point. You will shed teeth off of your transmission gears if you don't change the shift pucks. Good luck finding those gears for as cheap as shift pucks are. Also flip the 2nd gear clutch, it's easier on your transmission like that.

I replaced the starter cable and haven't been able to get it to start, even though the engine appears to be turning over. I wasn't sure if I adjusted the adjuster nut correctly, but through trial and error I might have gotten it in the right spot, which is basically as tight as it will go by hand. I'm guessing this is the right spot because it appears to be turning over. I don't really understand the directions in the manual for readjusting the nut. I'm also not sure what you mean about the pucks or what they are, is that just something that you're guessing happened at the age of the moped? I'll look into it, but I have been avoiding taking apart the transmission so I don't do any more damage since I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Overpriced Parts /

Here’s a way to adjust inner starter cable from the outside you can try:

Remove the Outer cable

Mark the adjuster nut on one side with a sharpie marker so you could count the revolutions

Turn the adjuster in several turns until the back wheel drags and wants to turn over the engine

Turn the adjuster out around five turns

Reconnect the clutch cable and try it out You may have to move it a turn or part turn more or less.

If you can’t get it to work you’re lining of your starter clutch maybe worn or you did something wrong

I am not guessing at the deterioration of your shift dampening pucks. From experience I can tell you that the ones in there are crumbling.

There are a few repair tutorials on the wiki here on breaking down a za50 transmission and even specifically for the pucks. It looks confusing and difficult on paper, but once you get in there it is super easy and straightforward. Just be careful to not tear your transmission gasket. If it does tear you have to replace it, but need to get a similar thickness.

If you were still unable to get the bike to engage via the clutch then you will have access to the inner cable incase it needs to be inspected.

Ok thanks for the replies. I didn't remove the outer cable before trying to adjust the adjuster nut and I didn't really understand the back wheel portion of the instructions until your post. The way I understand it now is that you twist the adjuster nut while moving the pedal and keep tightening until you get resistance as if the engine is turning over, then turn it the other way 5 times. I'll try this and see what it does. I will also try to replace the pucks, but I get nervous when disassembling the transmission gets mentioned.

If you get it running don't ride it! Pucks are MANDITORY.

Yeah, the pedals move the back wheel which in turn rotates the engine to start. Doesn't matter if you pedal or roll the bike to start. So using the wheel drag technique sounds like a neat way to do it.

Edit- change the pucks! Check this out so you understand. Get a big sheet of paper and lay out parts as you remove them paying very strict attention to shims, and don't remove the case gasket. It's very critical not to replace it as it's a specific tolerance built into every engine. Ie- they are all shimmed different.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,2709811 (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

> Alex Hawk Wrote:

> Ok thanks for the replies. I didn't remove the outer cable before

> trying to adjust the adjuster nut and I didn't really understand the

> back wheel portion of the instructions until your post. The way I

> understand it now is that you twist the adjuster nut while moving the

> pedal and keep tightening until you get resistance as if the engine is

> turning over, then turn it the other way 5 times. I'll try this and see

> what it does. I will also try to replace the pucks, but I get nervous

> when disassembling the transmission gets mentioned.

Do not pedal it

turn the rear wheel by hand

Ok I'm gonna try it today and I'm currently ordering the pucks. I'm not sure if I have any loctite around, but would any kind work? Any specific suggestions, like low strength or high strength and high temp or does the temp not matter? I also plan on flipping the second gear since people seem to say it's better, but I'll have to find a guide somewhere.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account