Help with Replacement Tire Sizes ...

OK, 1977 Puch Maxi and manual states 2.25 x 17 (21 x 2.25). Tires sidewalls state 21" x 2.00". But when I search for 21"x 2.25" I find very little. Can someone explain why? In what world is 2.25x17 = 21"x2.25". The real question is where can I but new tubes & tires and what exactly do I order? Thanks, newby.

2FF3C9BF-18D1-4EDC-A186-DA6772EB56AD_1_105_c.jpeg

Re: Help with Replacement Tire Sizes ...

It literally says 2-17" above that lol. Your tire is a 2.0x17, buy either a 2.25x17 or 2.5x17 tire instead. I don't know what that measurement you read is but it is irrelevant

Dirty30 Dillon /

You can't fit a 2.5x17 on a skinny rim stock Puch.

17x 2.00 tires and tubes are readily available at trearland.tv.

21" is the old timey size. There's also 20" for 16", and 24".

It's bicycle sizing, which goes by the tire height, where mopeds, motorcycles and cars go by rim height.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You can't fit a 2.5x17 on a skinny rim stock Puch.

You're right, and assuming this is the stock tire this is a skinny rim. But most maxis you can fit a 2.5x17 on

Overpriced Parts /

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You can't fit a 2.5x17 on a skinny rim stock Puch.

>

> You're right, and assuming this is the stock tire this is a skinny rim.

> But most maxis you can fit a 2.5x17 on

Ya you can fit 2.50 on normal rims but if true 2.5 inch they can rub on some maxi swingarms unless rim is perfectly true and the axle is all the way back that’s still not that much clearance

Dots on side of rim mean they are skinny rims, 2.25 size will fit and will clear older swing arm and front fender

The cheapo tires that say 2.25 most times only 2 1/8, same with the cheepo 2.50x17 they are only 2-3/8

Thanks everybody. Learn something new everyday.

Well..just took a glance at site and learned something. I just figured the dots on the rims were merely decorative. Seemingly not.

That roffman is a fount of esoterica.

And I fully mean that in a good way.

So...I found a set of Puch rims discarded on the street with essentially BRAND new tires, side nubs still evident, with a 2.75 on the front and a 3.00 on the rear, incomplete brake plates. No problem...but...

How likely is that to work, assuming rims are true? Never had anything larger than a 2.75 on a Magnum rear. Just curious before I dismantle all. Looking to mount on a Magnum (obviously without having to remove to ensure).

Thanks for any feedback. I just wish the brake plates were complete to start with.

Measure tire width and compare to place width .

You'll have your answer , with definition . ;)

Those dimple sided rims look like bicycle rims , meant to use rim clamp brakes .

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account