Batavus regency won’t start now

Just bought my second moped (it was a good deal). I test drove it and it seemed to run well. Got it home, went three miles and now it won’t start. I took apart the carb and cleaned it really well. Checked the fuel lines and inline fuel filter. Still won’t start. Would it be best to check the spark plug next? That’s kind of what I gathered from Fred’s guide. I’m new to this and feeling a little frustrated since I just bought this thing. 1978 batavus regency with Laura m56 engine. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thank you folks.

Re: Batavus regency won’t start now

Yes, remove the carb and give it a couple really good cleanings. Use brake cleaner it is less expensive and better than carb cleaner. If the problem persists, it could be a condenser going bad on you, which will fail once the bike warms up.

Ah ok thanks

Whenever a motor doesn't start, I start with checking spark. If you have good big bright blue spark clean the carb. If you clean the carb and it doesn't run still, replace the spark plug. If the bike was already running there's a good chance it's just the plug or carb

Don't forget to insure a clear exhaust .

the tiny encarwi carb on the m56 is a trip, been messing with one for a coupla days. From what i can gather float height (u can push that needle) is important for idle and the choke. Too little and the passage (formed into the encarwi flange ) wont get gas nor will the choke work, too much and it floods and dumps on the inside where u cant see it.

If u see spark and wanna test if its fuel related. Turn petcock off, Spray some premix into the plug hole and spin the motor to see if she fires.

The plug i had was fouled, looked new but was done, always have a supply of fresh plugs

I have the same bike. That Encarwi H12 is garbage!!!! I swapped mine out with a Dellorto SHA 15.15 and never looked back.

Check for spark first! If you have spark, then clean the carb as I did with that Encarwi like a gazzilion times. There is a little screen at the banjo bolt. Make sure that is not clogged. The jet is removable without taking the carb off. Remove the jet holder, take out the jet, inspect it, clean it, reinstall it. The float is finicky. The carb vent is finicky. The choke slide and o-rings are finicky. When you get tired of messing with it, then you'll get a new MLM intake and Dellorto carb from treats and it will run perfect. Make sure to upjet from the stock jet on the new carb. Mine came with a #68 and my spark plug is nice chocolaty brown. Some say to run a #70 jet though. Good luck and keep us posted.

i guess im a sucker for pain and sidecovers. I think another issue is the choke mechanism, it has two tiny o-rings that are suppose to form seal on the body, the plunger for the choke is not rubber tipped but have the seal thru those o-rings.

Yes, I bought new o-rings for that choke slide. You can get them on Amazon pretty cheap. And yes, I had to make a few notches in my floor board and clutch side plastic as the Dellorto sticks out the front of the engine with the MLM intake. But man....the end result of a nicely running moped was totally worth it. If you are careful with a dremel, you can make strategic cuts so it still looks nice. Not the right move if you are trying to keep everything 100% "correct" though.

Ok so with a new spark plug and cleaned carb it’s running. Does well on a flat surface but REALLY struggles in even small grade inclined. Is my air to fuel off? Can I fix this by adjusting the isle screw? Thanks again

Sorry for the typos. Struggles on hills. Should I adjust the idle screw to fix this issue with climbing power?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account