Honda Camino PA50 - Front Vario & Clutch Bell Question

Hi

Can anyone confirm if the clutch bell should move / slide up and down the crankshaft?

I know the front vario part should move along the crankshaft but thought the clutch bell should be stationary / fixed.

Only ask as I I’ve upgraded my PA50 from a mono engine to vario to improve performance.

So I don’t completely understand the operation / mechanics of the system other than that the belt slides up and down on the front and rear pulley which changes the gearing / ratios.

Picture attached showing what I mean.

Red for front vario and blue for clutch bell.

Should both move along the crankshaft or should one be fixed?

DCF10327-9AB0-4A11-BB37-B25EC019615F.jpeg

Re: Honda Camino PA50 - Front Vario & Clutch Bell Question

No, the clutch bell should not move. You either need a different bushing inside the clutch bell or the crank is different on single speed motors. We don't have single speeds here so I'm not sure.

I think you need a different bushing inside. I had to make one when I was putting a pa50ii clutch bell on a pa50i since the cranks were different.

Thanks for the advice. This is a complete engine bought separately as I know on mono setups the crankshaft is shorter. This is correct crankshaft for the vario.

Why is it moving? Has something broken? A bearing or bush? It doesn’t feel loose on the crankshaft it slides smoothly up and down.

Not sure what I should do. I guess the whole unit needs to be stripped off.

Could it be a nut not tightened up correctly? How far should the big nut on the front vario pulley be on the threaded part of the clutch bell boss?

> W D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Could it be a nut not tightened up correctly? How far should the big nut

> on the front vario pulley be on the threaded part of the clutch bell

> boss?

Absolutely, if the 14mm nut on the crank isn't tight then the clutch bell will move. How much play is there in the clutch?

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you bought this motor complete, I would highly suggest pulling the ignition and variator/clutch sides off to service and inspect, as well as pop some new seals in there.

Otherwise, you will inevitably wear them out and you'll have to do it all over again.

I shall check both nuts. The external large variator nut and the one that sits inside the clutch bell (onto the crankshaft?).

Also what seals should I be replacing? Are you talking about the crank seals? Guessing these can perish and leak causing compression issues?

What parts wear on the ignition side?

Same question for the clutch side too?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> W D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I shall check both nuts. The external large variator nut and the one

> that sits inside the clutch bell (onto the crankshaft?).

>

> Also what seals should I be replacing? Are you talking about the crank

> seals? Guessing these can perish and leak causing compression issues?

Both seals are perishable, especially as the age and get dry from unuse.

> What parts wear on the ignition side?

Points and cam follower. Both should be checked, points adjusted and gapped and cam follower squeegee should get oiled.

> Same question for the clutch side too?

Clutch pads and springs, starter pads and springs, needle and roller bearings in clutch bell, variator weights can wear/break.

Ok thanks a lot. Will check this all out. Will the wear be obvious or will I need a vernier or dti to measure the wear / run out?

Dirty30 Dillon /

the points will require a feeler gauge, but the rest is general condition feel/visual wear

if you have both motors in front of you, just compare the crank shoulder lengths and you'll probably be able to figure out the spacing. Add x amount of washers or switch bearing spacers i second just changing the seals as they are cheep and allow you to dress the crank a bit, i just changed out a clutch/variator side one, visually perfect from the outside but killed the motor when sprayed. Turns out the tiny spring that pressures the seal lip on the inside was broke...

Well it turned out to be a the inner nut was loose to the crankshaft. Tightened that up and the clutch bell doesn’t move.

So I have finally managed to upgrade my mono PA50 to a variomatic setup which I am really happy about.

It now finally can tackle the hills we have where I live. The vario system is definitely helping a lot. Making the most of the small engine.

However it is making some interesting noises.....not sure if these are rough bearings or something loose.

Any ideas what I should be looking at?

Appreciate all your help on here! Thanks!!

Did you open the variator and check the roller weights? Some noise is normal but a lot of noise can indicate parts past their wear limit

Thank you. What wear the wear on the roller weights looks like? It all appear to operate smoothly. Why would it cause a noise / rattle??

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account