Tank hole?

In the process of tank cleaning and found a hole. I wire brushed it some. Question is can I just put a dot of weld on it and call it done??? I put the cap on and tried to pressurized the tank. It only leaked out that hole.

20200910_142414_compress62.jpg

Re: Tank hole?

Make damn sure there's no gas vapor left in that tank. Then weld or braze it

Or , solder holds real good . ;)

Solder will flow very nicely into that hole.

I welded one recently, I also lined it with castellated tank liner afterwards. I used vinager to dissolve rust, then ringed with water and let dry before I welded.

If your gonna weld or anything you can fill the tank to the top with water to wash out any gas and push any vapor out, after your done spray in wd40 to get the remaining moisture out. I've patched a maxi tank before and worked great. Used a mig with .023 wire and low voltage. Just clean real well before you weld so the rust wont come back.

> Declan g Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I welded one recently, I also lined it with castellated tank liner

> afterwards. I used vinager to dissolve rust, then ringed with water and

> let dry before I welded.

He meant caswell tank liner...use NOTHING else. Por15 and others are all junk.

I've had really good experiences using permatex fuel tank repair putty epoxy. It's cheap, safe, easy to use, you can buy it at stores, it cures and dries fast, and it's never failed or leaked on me after I've used it.

I second solder for that. Been there, done that.

ok if u wana go cheap and easy, i used some aluminum tape and then covered that in jb weld to seal it, then painted the jb. basically works like a tire patch. my hole was on the bottom of a hobbit tank where all the pressure is and its good now.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account