Garelli Super Sport (XL/LTD)?? Revival

Hello all this is my first post here. Almost 20 years ago my father and I saved from the scrap yard A Garelli Supersport and he disassembled it shortly after into the main parts and I have embarked on the journey of getting it going again, I know Im missing some parts like a Throttle control as well as need new tires (one is original made in Italy lol) I also need/would like to get a new oil injector for it. I have about 75-80% of it back together and just need to do the electrical as well as figure out if it runs and also hope that you all can help me solve some oddities on the bike. I have downloaded just about every manual for it and know its a Super Sport. It has the SS wheels that are 16 inch, but has parts on it that are from the XL and LTD, like a mirror as well as the different engine (black covers) not the grey one. I did open the case to look inside to make sure it all was looking ok and drain the oil out. I left some in and sealed it back up. I would really appreciate the help with solving the oddities as well as what I should check and replace and any tips/ advice. I will be posting pics soon sometime next week or sooner. Thank you all

Re: Garelli Super Sport (XL/LTD)?? Revival

I would advise against an oil injector. There are many reasons why many of us delete them from bikes when we get them. They are mechanical and can fail due to neglect, cracked lines, user error. All of which is avoided when premixing your gas before it goes into the tank.

That said, please feel free to ask any specific questions on issues as you encounter them. The manuals will be great for figuring out parts and how things go together, amd also technical specifications like torque on bolts and timing for ignition.

Many of us own or have owned that bike and know a great deal about it.

Rule #1 with a garelli. You can only use Sae30 NON-DETERGENT oil in the transmission. I know some states do not sell this, but I know that "compressor oil" is the same thing and will work. Otherwise order it off the internet. Anything else will eat up the rubber clutch. Have fun and good luck!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

The oil injector on a Garelli is not a mechanical Injector per se. It’s a pump bottle that you manually pump by hand. I personally install them on my bikes for originality, but I never use them. (edited)

Thank you, just purchased my first one, Love the bike and saw this oil pump that I'VE never seen before? It was empty and wanted to clean all tanks out B4 I started it. Just Never seen anything like that.

I'm a complete stranger to this ride. But I do love it.

So digging through the manuals I know I have the Supersport but havent been able to read the stickers, So I either have the LTD with regular rims or the SS with LTD swapped parts, would you recomend getting the oil in it and firing it up or tear down the engine and brakes. Also any advice on finding tires and tubes as well as where to get the throttle assembly on the handle bars?

Thank you

Personally I focus on the safety items with a new to me bike. Tires, tubes, cables, lights, and clean the carb.

Then I will worry about tearing down an engine only if I have to.

You can definitely get some premix going and make sure your transmission fluid is at the proper level and see if you can get it started. But make sure it is safe to ride before taking out anywhere more than around the block. Safety first.

What is the best way to clean the carb and is there a rebuild kit?

> Gabriel Gomez Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What is the best way to clean the carb and is there a rebuild kit?

I use flammable brake cleaner after I've totally dismantled the carb . Every passage has to be pristine clean and clear .

I haven't bought a carb kit in about 40+ years . No need . Cut your own gaskets . Gas does not deteriorate brass and any rubber type bits should be individually available .

ok thank you will do that, and upon further inspection the moped is a SS LTD with SS tires and the year is a 1978 I think

Quit guessing. Read and learn...

Info-Garelli-Frame-Number-Chart-small-600x793.jpg

Ok well that leaves me with a couple of questions I found the frame number it places it as a UN so a 79-80 so its an SS model. My questions are in that time did they stop making the plates that went on the fork and just stamped the fork? Also do the frame and engine numbers match? And finally since its is the SS that reached 30 mph is it common to have the Black covers on the engine? Thank you for all the help

> Gabriel Gomez Wrote:

> Ok well that leaves me with a couple of questions I found the frame

> number it places it as a UN so a 79-80 so its an SS model. My questions

> are in that time did they stop making the plates that went on the fork

> and just stamped the fork? Also do the frame and engine numbers match?

> And finally since its is the SS that reached 30 mph is it common to have

> the Black covers on the engine? Thank you for all the help

From first hand experience I.D. tags were used on all Garellis. If yours does not have one its because someone removed it. Look closely and you should see two small rivet holes in steering neck where it used to be. They just dont fall off like adhesive type on other brands. That would make me suspicious, so proceed with caution when trying to register or title it. Frame and engine numbers never did correspond on these. Silver covers were used on earlier models up to 78-79. Black ones appeared after that. (edited)

ok will do that, and I got the moped 15-20 years ago, someone was throwing it away, so the tag may have been removed for that reason? Is there a time frame on when it would have been removed from the system if it was ever in it?

if u have spark, squirt some premix in the plug hole and see if she fires.

myrons mopeds has alot of info, buy local or order off treatland or doscycles.

need to get the electical sorted out and also get everything hooked up, what pre mix should I run in the tank and what octane fuel? and will post some pics soon (edited)

Here it is in all its glory, so I do have a few questions and concerns, I cant find and they are somewhere burried in the garage, the pedals, brake lines, spedo line, and left grip and all that goes with it. Also dont know where the carb went annoyingly. Finally I dont know where my father placed all the bolts that went on the bike and also need to replace some of the rubber washers that went with around the tank as a cushion. Does anyone know where I could get all of this? And also what the clips are for on the bottom of the frame in the last pic?

Thank you

IMG_6631.jpg
IMG_6632.jpg
IMG_6633.jpg

Wasnt able to add pic in the last post but someone modified this and trying to figure out why and how I should go about it.

Thank you

IMG_6635.jpg

The "clips" hold a metal tray that the cables are hidden behind along your frame.

The weird thing on the engine is someones way of fixing a broken starter arm. That is the spot the clutch cable attaches to the engine to engage the starter clutch to turn over the engine while pedaling. It seems that they tried to make it some kind of hand squeezed lever. Seems pretty sketch. You may be able to find the actual pieces to get this replaced. Check out the resources on the wiki for the specific sites, but I would check:

Treatland

Dos Cycle

Myron's Mopeds

Moped Junkyard

I would probably check the sites in that order. Myrons and junkyard will end up costing a bit more, but they seem to have those hard to find pieces. Moped junkyard has a lot of garelli stuff.

But I guess before you look to replace the arm, double check that the tab for the cable is still on the frame. It may have broken off and that is why the piece was modified. The tab broke would require some welding work to get that put back and then the clutch arm.

16003464356177544835360132914210.jpg

This little tab. It is part of the front engine mount area.

Man, with that janky repair I really think you should look at rebuilding it and replacing the starter arm....who knows what kind of janky stuff was done.

Yeah that plastic tank is the famous garelli "injector" pump. It's just a reservoir that holds oil and squirts a shot of oil into the tank when filling up with gas. It's kinda junk, just remove it and use a measuring cup so you don't run too little oil on accident..

It honestly may be a good idea to find a running garelli and use this for parts. I can see you spending more than the value of the bike getting it going. Running in that shape it's a $150-250 bike.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Looks like the center frame cover is mounted all cockeyed. That bike is a hot mess.

Everything is dryfitted at the moment as im looking for where the bolts went, but thats why its all weird looking

haha its all dryfitted for now and could also use a real good clean but its 90% there, need to find the bolts and what missing pieces it didnt have and whats still somewhere buried in the garage

illl check for the tab as well as those websites, thank you, and is 600 odd miles a lot on one of these?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

The number of miles on the odometer isn’t an issue. The issue is how it was maintained/preserved for the last 40 years and this one looks rough.

> Gabriel Gomez Wrote:

> illl check for the tab as well as those websites, thank you, and is 600

> odd miles a lot on one of these?

> Gabriel Gomez Wrote:

> illl check for the tab as well as those websites, thank you, and is 600

> odd miles a lot on one of these?

If I had a car that had sat in a lake for 30 years but only had 600 miles the odometer reading would be irrelevant. The odometer is irrelevant on 99% of mopeds

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account