1966 motobecane cady running but no power

Hey guys I have a 1966 motobecane cady, bought it fairly recently and it was running ok for the first 6 drives I took it on or so about (25)km / h. All of a sudden iv been having issue getting it to run i took it apart cleaned all the points have a nice blue spark cleaned the carb it's a aftermarket chinese 80cc bicycle kit type carb. I got it to the point now where it idles nice and consistent but with choke all the way down as soon as I give gas it bogges backfire and dies. I have timing set correctly as well. It seems it have some power when I put the choke arm 3/4 of the way down not fully down and when I give it throttle that way I get some power and it doesn't bog but the rpms go up. But when I try it like that and drive it it's not enough to even pull me around. I'm not a heavy set person either I weigh about 155lbs. Not sure if it's getting enough air or fuel or how air fuel mixtures work to fix it or if I need a new carb what size I would need to make it better again. Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Re: 1966 motobecane cady running but no power

M1 Cady only has 10mm ID intake so any carb with a bore larger than that is going to be a problem. You either need to fix the original AR1-10 Gurtner or get a Dellorto SHA14:10 to be able to properly tune the bike.

^ as noted above, rebuild stock carb.

Kk thanks guys, I have a spare old carb on a parts bike I'll swap it out and give it a go.

Ok so I replaced carb to the original carb, the bike starts up dosent idle, and still has no power to go any where. I'm not sure what else to try at this point to get it going. It has a tiny bit of power when I hold in choke I try to get it to warm up but when I release choke it will bog when I give it gas after the engine is warm.

Sounds like a dirty carb .

Pushrod Fifty /

Get a gallon of Gunk carb soak from amazon or an auto parts store. Soak the parts for a week and then clean with brake cleaner spray, compressed air if you have it, and speaker wire strands for the tiny passages of the carb body and brass jets.

Have you decoked the exhause yet? Blockage or restriction in the pipe will cause the engine to be quite gutless.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account