1999 Tomas Targa

I am looking to buy a 99 Tomas Targa but the pedal crank shaft on the right side is bent.

Is that something that is easy and fairly inexpensive to replace? I am able to do any mechanical work but am only familiar with my 85 Puch and I think the Tomas is different there with the pedal.

Re: 1999 Tomas Targa

they all work the same.

Is it the shaft or the crank arm? I think it would have to have been hit pretty hard to bend the shaft. On a tomos the pedal shaft goes through the engine. The shaft is $40, and you'll have to disassemble the transmission. It's not really that complicated but it's more involved than just sliding it out of the frame like you would on a puch.

I was told it was the crank arm but have not seen it yet. However that should not be that difficult and would give me a look at the inside of the tranny while I am at it.

Thanks for the info.

Just go grab it bill. You are gonna love the two speed. You'll have just as much fun fixing it up as you did your puch.

Your right Jay I will get it this week and post a picture . Thanks

Post pics and ask questions. That year of tomos can be almost rebuilt from the ground up with NOS parts. And plenty of good used parts around the community.

Tomos are dumb and wonderful at the same time. Enjoy!

I bought it and started repairing needed things. The tank is very rusty so I am going to tear it all down and strip everything off so I can deal with the rusty tank. i thought by the way it was described that the main pedal shaft was bent but it is only the pedal itself so all I need are 2 new pedals. What type transmission oil and how much does it take. The PO disconnected the 2 cycle oil system so I guess that is good. I tried to see what Jet it had in the Carb but there is no number stamped on it. It has a WIND Carb. which I guess is stock. Is there any thing I should check out in the engine and transmission while I am at it ?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Wtf is a “WIND” carb? Pic please.

The correct transmission fluid is Type A. It's been obsolete for cars since the 50's, but you can sometimes find it at gas stations, grocery stores, truck stops, etc.

The carb only has one word on it WIND and no numbers. I will post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks on the type of fluid . Any ides how much it takes?

Bill check put the wiki on here for specifics on that engine. Usually I just fill my tranny up until oil comes out of the fluid check hole.

The stock carb on that should be a dellorto sha 14:12. I feel like the targa usually had the side mounted carb with the z shaped intake. And that horrible snake exhaust pipe on those years.

Here is a picture of the Carb on my Tomas> as i stated it only has the word WIND and no numbers anywhere.

Carb 1.JPG

That's an aftermarket knock-off of the original Dellorto SHA. It's probably fine to run.

O.K. Thanks.

Do you know what size jet is stock on those. The jet in it now has no numbers on it so I don't know where to start in rejetting.

The stock 14/12 Dellorto comes with a #53 jet.

53 jet Thanks

9 Oz's

Thanks Mark

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account