Cable ends question

Just replaced the stock carb on my poo-jo with a Dellorto 15 15. The current ends of my cables are just bare and had some little “things” that had set screws in them to hold in place at the correct length for choke and throttle. The throttle for the new carb looks to need some type of actual “end” on it, something very small, to fit into position and not bind. Choke cable looks like it needs the barrel type end that many cables have for ends already. So....can different ends be added to bare cables? What types are there? Do I need to order new cables?

If pictures would help, I can get them....I’m just assuming most of you that have worked on these know exactly what I’m talking about.

Thanks in advance

Re: Cable ends question

Overpriced Parts /

Do you need a cable with a nub on the end and this is how you install it:

Not like this:

85863864-192A-4C6D-9412-BF5F9FCD14F7.png

But bend nub like this before you put in the slide

7E6C191E-9C5F-4786-9885-881DEA0D6963.png

Done

3C188924-D916-4320-A6BA-3FEC09E38EFD.png

Adam Rosenow /

Are you saying there is nothing but the bare cable? No barrel on it at all? I tend to use some good old fashioned electrical solder. Dip the end of the cable in Flux (or get it nice and saturated if using a pen), then get your iron nice and hot and drop a bead of solder on the end that's the right size for your carb.

Might want to try to practice a couple times before committing to the real deal, it's harder to fix a screwed up one than to get it right the first time.

Its not the easiest thing to do first time, but once you've got it down, making custom cables from the cheap bicycle kits at Walmart is a simple as measuring it out and cutting it to length. Just make sure you put everything on the cable and jacket that you need before you solder the barrel on the end.

Overpriced Parts /

Adam Rosenow /

Knarp, barrel, "little metal end piece", whatever you call them in your part of the woods.

Overpriced Parts /

Buy one the size you need and put it on bare end of the cable

If you have a mig welder, zap the end of the cable real quick and make a little ball end.

Roffman,

That’s exactly what I’m needing...from your pics. But the Knarp is what’s on the ends now...by barrel, I’m talking about the factory ends that typically go into a clutch or brake lever.

Thanks for the tip on using solder or welder, I’ll give it a try and see what happens.

if your looking for brake lever cable stops. https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=cable+holder

these slide down after u push in your brake cable.

Adam Rosenow /

Solder really does work well for this application, just make sure you use flux... the steel cable isn't very receptive to the solder without it ;) good luck!

Pushrod Fifty /

Buy a bicycle deurailler cable inner from a bike shop for next to nothing for the carb slider and the brass knarp for the throttle, unless the throttle is the type that clamps the cable like on a Moby.

It’s a different cable than the Moby, but I did steal the cable from a Moby with a Dellorto carb...got it started and sounding strong...but throttle end is different than than the poo-jo, so I couldn’t take it for a ride. I’ll try the solder technique after mowing tomorrow. If I can find my iron, don’t think I’ve used it since the 90s.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account