Tomos A55 centrifugal clutch issue

So over the weekend i was replacing both clutches in my Tomos Streetmate Racing (R). I replaced them but when i was test riding it, it would not shift into second gear. So instead of it shifting into second, the engine would max out in RPM's. Filled trans fluid to recommended amount and brand new clutches. I put it back together as i found it, so im not sure whats wrong. By the way i also opened the engine 4 times that day trying to find out what went wrong. But i still don't know whats wrong. Before i replaced the clutches, the old ones would grind and there was very little trans fluid in the crankcase when i drained and opened it. So maybe there is damage to the trans i didn't see? But the bikes rides in 1st. Just wont shift into second.

Has anyone else had this issue? And does anyone know what may be wrong? I am very confused as to why it wont shift. If anyone can offer some assistance to my issue and can provide a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks moped community!

Re: Tomos A55 centrifugal clutch issue

What are you using for fluid? What friction material did you use?

Your sprag ok?

I'm using ATF type F Trans fluid, clutch material is standard cork (I believe that is what you are referring too, i have not located or checked the sprag. Are these possible issues?

Did you put spacer in right spot they go only on the pedal shaft and gear cluster not the clutch .firmly place the pedal shaft with sprag clip in the slot the case should go on with out any resistance good luck

There was a washer/spacer inside the crankcase on the pedal shaft that was not secured and was freely moving. Should i have secured that? And next time i open up the crankcase cover i will look for the sprag clip. Found a picture on treatland of what it looks like.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Check gear cluster function kickstart cage inside rollers could've ovaled

Ok, i just looked in the manual. And found what your talking about. Over the weekend, i'll open up the crankcase to have another look i will check that.

^yeah, theres one way bearing setup in the countershaft that r likely fouled not allowing second gear to kick in. theres a one way needle bearing in the clutch bell as well.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If it was the one in the bell you would upshot but downshiftimg would constantly pop the chain.

Bump

Update: was taken to somebody who is familiar with mopeds and he was able to get it into 2nd but it started failing again during tuning. I have it back now and I'm stumped about what to do to. I'm thinking it has something to do with the carb not sending enough fuel to the engine. Or it may be running to rich. Any suggestions? Still maxing out in RPM's. Parts were reportedly replaced.

So you did not fix it yourself like you said you were and decided to pay elese to someone to fix it? So before you asked for help, no picts or follow thru on suggestions. Now theres a third party and even you doubt...and return for more help. I suggest going back to the top and do what you said you were going to do yourself. Obviously knowing how to work on your own bike is faster, simpler and more cost efficient. Post picts if you cant identify the part, all details and any mods.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Clogged gas cap vent...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account