Phva carb leaking

Basically I’ve taken the carb apart cleaned it got a new float+needle and it’s still leaking from this hole. Anyone ever have this problem it’s really frustrating.

41EFFB85-1D01-43E7-95BB-26F8B88DE808.jpeg

Re: Phva carb leaking

Something's wrong with the needle, seat, or float or the positioning of the needle at the float.

So you suggest just keep taking it apart and putting it back together until finally it seats right or is there Somthing I can do

Are you SURE you installed the correct needle and seat? Check the length of the old needle with the new one.

I mean you slide the pin out take the float out, slide the new needle onto the float, slide the needle into the hole and push the pin back through. The needle is one of the spring loaded ones, so is the old one. If I’m doing something wrong or missed a step please let me know. This is very frustrating

The hole is not a leak. It is part of the carb system. The carb can only leak air from its mounting points to the intake/engine. Or it can leak fuel from the bowl. Anything around the mouth of the carb is supposed to be there and do what it is doing.

If fuel is coming out of that hole then your float and needle is not seating correctly. In addition to the new needle did you clean and polish the port the needle slides into? There could be some abrasion that is causing the needle to not seal. Is the float sitting correctly? If it bent at all it could be letting too much fuel in the bowl.

Alright well when the bowl is not attached I push the float up and no gas comes out. So it has to be seating correctly. So now my question is what would prevent a float from floating

Sometimes the float gets a little cockeyed and sticks .

Have you tried rapping the bowl with a decent size screwdriver handle and some authority while it's mounted and passing gas ?

A lot of times that's enough to free the float .

Or , maybe you have the level set too high .

Be sure that the floats are not flooded .

I keep hearing about having the level set to high. I don’t understand what this means or how I would even change a height or level or whatever.

Watch the videos and download the manual . Then study it .

I would just run it as is and get some miles on it is it will run properly. Sometimes leaks like that tend to iron themseves out. Be prepared to shut the petcock after riding.

Check and see if fuel has infiltrated into your float. If it is heavy with gas it wont seat properly. Shake it next to your ear and listen or hold up against a bright light to see if there is gas in it. Also, as Jay said, your seat can get gummed up with shit. You can use a toothpick or blunt end of a q tip to kind of swab out the seating surface. Check and make sure the end of your needle is very clean as well. Sounds to me your float has a leak (gas getting in it) or your needle seat is gummed up with shit. Lets us know how ya make out.

> Mark Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You can use a toothpick

> or blunt end of a q tip to kind of swab out the seating surface.

If you are going to that^ trouble , just do it right and polish the seat to a bright shine with a complete q tip and Brasso or the like .

Clean that out with a spritz of brake cleaner .

Insure that the needle tip is clean and smooth , with no deformation(s). ;)

I’ve done all these things the q tip everything. I also took the float+ needle from one of my good running mopeds and switched them. The float and needle from the leaking carb worked fine in the other carb, no leaks. The float and needle that came from a good running carb leaked like it’s been doing. Now I have cleaned this thing 20 times w a q tip blew hair through it w a compressor, I can’t really think of anything else to do. I’m so confused about this. I have tried three different needles. When I have the float bowl off with the gas line connected and turned on. I can push the float itself up and it stops the gas from coming out. I’m missing something and I have no idea what it could be. I would really like to fix this and keep the phva carb on there, but I can’t seem to figure it out so I’ve ordered the adapter to just put a sha carb on there because I have a couple of those laying around.

Sounds like a simple float level adjustment is needed .

You can’t adjust the float in this carb from my knowledge

> Dan Cooker Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You can’t adjust the float in this carb from my knowledge

Why not ?

You sure you don't have a leak in your float bowl thats not letting the needle valve seat so it just keeps dumping gas into your carb? Maybe check for leaks elsewhere around the bowl....I would have drop-kicked that carb into the neighbors yard by now and gotten a SHA.....lol

post some pictures, they help.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account