URGENT Peugeot 103

I’m a newbie and I’m trying to fix a Peugeot 103 LVS U3. When I push over the pedal only the belt moves on the left side. But the magneto side doesn’t even flinch. This may be a simple solution and I may seem like an idiot for asking but I wanna make sure it will run before I spend anymore money on it. It hasn’t been turned on yet because I have been working on other things but I wanna make sure it will run before I do anything more

Re: URGENT Peugeot 103

There's little starter clutch arms that fling out and engage the motor only when you spin the clutch/belt on the left side. So hold down the decomp lever and pedal the motherfucker hard and it should turn over

It begins to turn it kinda flinches when I do that, but then it becomes extremely hard to turn like it’s getting caught on something, then after turning it with my hand it becomes loose again.

Bad crank bearings? Seized?

Can you turn it over by spinning the flywheel(mag)?

yea but its tough to turn it, then it kinda gets easier to turn, then it toughens up again. i can turn it with a hammer drill but its tough to move it with my hands.

Yup, rebuild time. Your crank bearings are dead. Or your cylinder, you'll have to open it up to find out.

Hopefully the cylinder is ok. But your gonna need new bearings and seals at the very least. Probably a crank as well.

I think he's describing feeling the compression stroke. At the bottom of the stroke it's easier to turn than at the top. Find a big ass hill and pedal down the thing while using the compression release and if it doesn't turn over a bunch consider a rebuild. To me it sounds fine though

Good point Nick. Diddnt thinka that.

Nick has been describing holding the decompression lever on the right handlebar. Follow that cable down to the head and you will see a small valve buried in the cooling fins. If yo look at that valve while moving the lever you will see that valve moving.

Do this and report back.

The vale looks like this but it will have a cable attached.

The compression stroke when healthy will be stiff but smooth like pumping a supersoaker.

Not healthy stroke will be stiff but jerky and you can feel actual grindy friction with maybe a faint squeek sound.

Yea when I pull the decompression lever it pulls the wire that’s on the cylinder head

But is the resistance still there when you pull the lever?

yea.

Then it's your top end or main bearings.

Well here is a little bit of explanation, I just remembered that it only got tough to turn when I accidently used a drill and turned it backwards... I turned it backwards for about a minute before realizing. so thats an extra bit but i dont think it will help much. but hey i put it on the backburner of things im working on now so if you come up with a solution let me know

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account