Re: 1978 Garelli Rally Sport - missing condenser

> Johnny Mueller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for the diagrams and explanation.

>

> I will attempt to bypass the brake light today - been busy with family

> visiting the past few days - so I will post an update (with pics if need

> be) in a bit.

No problemo. Ive owned and worked on a few of these. You're gonna have to be a detective and good with a multimeter.

How would I ground the blue wires straight to the engine in order to bypass the brake light? Also, should I reconnect the blue wires into the junction block?

I accidentally replied to live's response when I meant to reply to yours. When you say ground the 2 blue wires to the engine case, do you mean solder them straight onto the engine or find a spot where a wire can be screwed into?

Ground the blue wire coming from the stator. Its paired with one going to brake light. Third blue going to brake light switches should be opposite of the pair in wiring block. You are just looking for a temporarily ground to see if motor will start.

UPDATE

I disconnected the two blue wires that were soldered together (one that goes to the rear brake light and the one that goes to the strator).

I grounded the blue wire coming from strator to the frame.

The blue and grey wires going to the brake light are both disconnected from junction box.

The bike starts like usual and the same problem exists:

-Bike starts up no problem

-Bike gets up to 25-30mph

-Bike dies after a minute or so of top speed

-The bike does not die if rear brake is applied

Since I have replaced the condenser and am now bypassing the brake light, I am not sure what the issue could be. Perhaps the coil?

I have another coil laying around that was on my Pacer Super Sport so maybe I'll try swapping the coils to see if that fixes the problem. I do have a volt meter that I can use to test the two coils but am unsure what I am looking for as far as the volt reading goes and how to test.

Also I need some clarification on the point behind grounding the blue wire coming from the strator.

Does this bypass the light entirely? Should the bike run normally after doing this, or was this a test to just see if the bike starts? Also, is there a safe way to bypass the lights altogether in order to see if they are the issue?

By grounding the blue wire from the stator you are eliminating everything but the ground that the stator needs to power the ignition coil. You got something else going on. Double check all your work and connections.

Watched the video - thanks PD for the reference. I will break out the meter asap.

A few questions about my wiring, live:

Does the external condenser need to be grounded to the motor or to the frame?

Does the blue wire coming from strator need to be grounded to the motor or frame?

I have both the external condenser and blue cable from strator grounded to the frame,not the motor.

If using the frame for the ground portion of the circuit , it has to be grounded to the motor case .

I don't like using the frame as a ground . I usually run a dedicated ground wire .

It takes a bit more , but , I never have to worry about poor grounds , which are very important for best circuit performance .

UPDATE

I finally got the bike going and it's running great. Thanks for all the input and advice guys.

I bypassed the brake light by grounding the blue wire to the motor case. Then replaced the external condenser with a factory-style condenser that is installed within the strator.

I think the issue was that I had the external condenser mounted to the frame instead if the motor case, but I have seen people mount theirs on the frame as well...so I'm thinking I must have had a bad external condenser.

Also, once I got the bike running it would die like it wasn't getting enough fuel - this was further tested by engaging the choke which allowed the bike to start immediately and then run again until it died shortly after.

The petcock was installed backwards so the fuel line had to make a few turns and weird angles in order to get to the carb. Plus the petcock was disgusting and clogged. I swapped the filter, unclogged as much as I could, angled it correctly and shortened the fuel line.

This fixed that problem and I rode the bike for a few miles shortly after.

I ordered a new petcock and a CEV 9400.2 brake light that has the hidden resistor so I can wire the thing like the original.

Again I wanna thank you guys. Without your help, advice with troubleshooting and knowledge of wiring/all things moped I would still be sitting here scratching my ass.

Here's a pic of the Garelli after a short ride last night. She still needs some work but nothing I can't handle.

20201013_221913.jpg

Good deal, happy ending

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account