Did Tomos use 2 different types of sprag springs?

When I opened the transmission of my 99 Tomos A35 I found the spring at the left laying in the case. Thinking that it was broken I ordered a new one that is shown on the right BUT there is no catch on my gear to hook the end under so I then began to think that The spring that I found in my case was a different style and wasn't broken and the only way I see that it works is to put the end into a hole as shown in the 2nd picture of the gear. Is this correct?

A 35 springs.JPG
A35 Gear.JPG

Re: Did Tomos use 2 different types of sprag springs?

No it actually wraps around. I'll let one of the guru's explain it to you. They can probably describe it better.

And bill there's a YouTube video of a dude shows how to put it on the cluster. Go look for it. It's an a35 video

Is the original spring ( the one on the left) broken or are there two different springs used on Tomos . Because the spring on the right with the extra tail needs a catch to hook under and my setup does not have that catch clip to hook it under. The only one I see on youtube is the longer spring with the tail and it does not work on mine.

All tomos a35 have a return spring that looks identical to a question mark. ? What they do is keep the pedals from spinning with the engine when riding.

The one on the right should work. I have the same one

Dirty30 Dillon /

The left one is obviously broken. They only used one type of sprag spring.

That's what I hear

Thanks all. I finally have got the idea of how it works .

Does the 'hook' go in the hole , the rest wrap around and the straight section gets caught on the pin ?

Yes.

> Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yes.

OK . Thanks . ;)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You can solder it on there you are so lucky it didn't chip your gearset.

Dont solder it on there. They brake and will need replaced again. It will not fall out once installed in the bike.

It keeps the one way clutch biased to one side so it shifts smoothly and doesn't chip the gears. Make sure you find the broken off piece floating around in the case or that will ruin your day.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account