LC50/QT50 rear driveshaft and pinion bearing

punkrock randy /

Anyone got a good lead on rear driveshaft bearings part #’s or dimensions ?? It’s the one at the tail end of driveshaft and the pinion for rear end. The Champ’s are pretty well fuct, likely unable to be recognizable enough for sizing. We’ll see once I get that terrible pinion retaining pos outta there.

Re: LC50/QT50 rear driveshaft and pinion bearing

Jack Rutherford /
A5769766-B94B-40F4-AD87-4A36910734E9.png

3,5&9

punkrock randy /

Thx much Jack, this should be what I need 👍🏼

Jack Rutherford /

Ok I finally remembered. The bearing number is in the part number. They’re just 6202 and 6201 bearings. (edited)

punkrock randy /

So are those 4 digit #’s something I could take to a parts store or a bearing supplier potentially? Calling it a bearing number leads me to infer such. (edited)

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So are those 4 digit #’s something I could take to a parts store or a

> bearing supplier potentially? Calling it a bearing number leads me to

> infer such.

That's exactly what they are : bearing #s .

Every manufacturer uses the same designation for a given bearing size . Like '6202' .

They add more characters for further description , like 6202 ZZ or RR . Those letters designate shielding of different types .

There may also be a clearance designation , like C3 . (edited)

punkrock randy /

Awesome, thank you guys very much! I wanna get some more riding in on these nice days remaining. Fall’s the best! (edited)

punkrock randy /

Also,i seen that the rear axle/ring gear bearings were sealed on one side and open for greasing on the other. Any idea if the two bearings near rear pinion are the same in that respect? Mine got too beat up to tell.

Find the bearing you intend using and study it's specs to see the life expectancy .

Something like 30 - 50 thousand hours or some such .

If that expectancy is more than you expect to use the machine , you might consider leaving both sides of the bearing shielded . That would protect it from any foreign matter , possibly introduced from the adjoining mechanism .

punkrock randy /

Old ass tri-sided metal file coming through in the clinch! Had to customize this spark plug socket for removing Champ’s rear pinion retainer. Squaring off the insides was still a pain, but possible 🤘🏼

47FD22CA-82F3-40CC-A6BA-9BEA8FB3A2B6.jpeg
08F0DF0B-F67B-4368-BC85-635F8EA8F13C.jpeg

punkrock randy /

One of the bearings inner race and 3 balls climbed into the spacer🙄

5D6F8C39-24D5-4E0F-8D2E-E42560D76EBE.jpeg

Jack Rutherford /
888283B3-2770-4FDB-908A-C5EFD7D3E387.jpeg

Here’s my tool of choice. I think this was originally from a cheap set of mower spark plug sockets from Ace Hardware. I filed down one end to fit and my 24mm impact socket fits over the other. Spins those damn drive shaft nuts out no problemo.

punkrock randy /

Nice, that looks like it’d be perfect. That inside of socket pic was just after I started on it. You can see one corner of the square hadn’t been hit yet. Amazing how quiet the rotating parts are now, couldn’t tell before because it’s hard to say how much sound is normal on a 39 year old machine. Axle/ring gear bearings still feel nice and solid so I cleaned and repacked 👍🏼

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account