Phoquing Moby starter clutch...

Folks having troubles on their Moby starter clutches.

First, scuff up the rubbing surface on the inside of the cover, flush with brake cleaner. Do same with the pads on the ends of the arms. This will deglaze the friction pair and ensure best grip in operation.

Second make sure there is friction material left on the starter arms. You can get new arms or you may want to epoxy new friction material to the arms. You would want soft or medium friction material so the pads will wear, not the rubbing surface of the cover.

Next step is to ensure the arms are free to move and only restriction is the spring rate. Disconnect the springs from the arms with needle nose pliers and make sure the arms are free to swing in and out. If no then use some penetrating oil and work the arms in and out until they are free moving. Then use brake cleaner and remove the penetrating oil. Otherwise the oil will chase out of the pivots and onto the clutch rubbing surface and make the clutch unreliable again.

On the earlier version, the starter clutches may still look serviceable, yet the friction material is worn to the point of no longer being able to make contact with the inside of the cover. Removing some of the material at the extension stops will allow the entire friction pad to be consumed on the clutches. Fully extend the arms and observe where the backs of the arms contact the stops on the clutch carrier. mark that point and remove about 1,5mm of material from that point.

Balancing the earlier version using the spring perches on the arms, there is low medium and high tensions. These tensions also relate to the rpm that the clutch will start to contact the clutch cover. You need to adjust so that when idling the clutches are not dragging unnecessarily on the cover, so start with medium (one inner one outer) and if it drags then go for heavy (outer and outer). Both springs need to be at the same setting, no mix and match.

Early arms

V2armsMoby.jpg

Later arms

V4armsMoby.jpg

Reworking for full use of material

ClearancingClutchArms.JPG

Re: Phoquing Moby starter clutch...

Alan Jackson /

excellent stuff as usual rebel

i am having problems with my starter clutch as you know and was hoping to strip it down again today but i had to attend to the wheel and other issues

early next week i will report back with my findings as unless im doing something else wrong moving the springs to their weakest setting is allowing the motor to rev more before the clutch engages

i would have thought that would be the oppostit?

it may have been something else i did (wrongly) so ill post back

Alan Jackson /

right

i finally managed to adjust the clutch so it would pedal start by fitting weaker springs. nothing else i did had any effect.

this is maybe because i am running a non decompressor cylinder head with 150psi compression.

but to be fair even with the plug removed the motor seemed reluctant to turn.

i checked the arms werent hitting the posts and moved freely but they just felt too tightly sprung compared to my other paloma moped.

i didnt want to fit a pull start or kickstart at great expense/messing about and am happy cos now it will start with a quarter of a turn of the pedals.

Starts on one brisk pedal thrust - well done indeed

Alan Jackson /

praise from the moby guru, you'll be making my head swell!!!

cheers rebel

and another thanks as your video helped me replace my engine mounts

although my smaller socket had a chamfer on it and im sure it was trying to squeeze inside the outer metal casing.

i changed to a different one and all went well.

i still had to use a tremendous amount of force and my m8 stud nearly cross threaded plus my washers deformed so had to use real beefy ones.

anyway thanks again rebel.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes the silentblocs are on there tight, and age does not help matters sometimes...

> Alan Jackson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> praise from the moby guru, you'll be making my head swell!!!

>

> cheers rebel

>

> and another thanks as your video helped me replace my engine mounts

>

> although my smaller socket had a chamfer on it and im sure it was trying

> to squeeze inside the outer metal casing.

>

> i changed to a different one and all went well.

>

> i still had to use a tremendous amount of force and my m8 stud nearly

> cross threaded plus my washers deformed so had to use real beefy ones.

>

> anyway thanks again rebel.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account