Terrible engine sound Tomos A35

Sergey Smirnov /

Hello! this is my first time with a Tomos sprint moped. Terrible engine sound. What broke?

Terrible engine sound

Re: Terrible engine sound Tomos A35

That sounds like either a ring broke. Or rings are so bad that the Piston is slapping cylinder walls.

Yes$50 repair. New piston and rings for tomos a35 engine. You be in business!

Tweaker trash /

Club Tomos is a joke

Club tomos? Where is that located? This is the army!

So?? What was making all the noise? Did you take the top end off and look at the condition of your piston and rings????

Sergey Smirnov /

Not yet. Moped in a country house. Tomorrow I'll go and watch. It became very cold here)))

Вut I watched a lot of videos on youtube, and found that tomos make a same sound with a regular exhaust.

Sergey Smirnov /

Hey. I removed the cylinder and found that everything seemed to be fine with it, the piston was also fine and the rings were not broken. However, there was not a single gasket! Under the head and under the cylinder was just a sealant. Now the question is if I cut the top head pad out of aluminum, what is the thickness? 1mm? How thick should the bottom gasket be? Here in Russia just thick cardboard is often used (for bottom gaseket). And in appearance, this piston does not look like the original one from TOMOS.

20201119_142850.jpg
20201119_142731.jpg

There is no gasket on the top part of the cylinder. Tomos only has base gasket. put a gasket on cylinder that is in first photo. About 2 mm thick. Try to use material that won't burn when engine gets hot. Let me know how it works.

Sergey Smirnov /

Good. Thanks. But the question is, why do I see head gaskets on sale?

Head gasket is optional. If your mating surface is messed up or you want a tad less compression you can put various thickness and material gaskets. As far as the sound it really to me sounds like the transmission is making all that noise. Also check the crank bearings for axial play when you get the transmission cover off.

I don't know what you mean by saying head gasket on sale. You only need Base gasket if everything in good condition. Make sure you only use 9 ounces of transmission fluid. And if the noise is affecting engine performance. Do as other guy said and look for abnormal movement in crankshaft. Make sure you pay close attention to where parts go if you take apart engine!!

Sergey Smirnov /

Now I'm trying to find a scan of the crankcase gaskets. There was a link, but it doesn't work.

Do you have Auto parts store in your area?? Go see if they sell gasket paper and Trace it and make gaskets for anything. I've made gaskets for my clutch cover on my tomos and they last longer than original.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account