My Motobecane clutch doesn't engage

I have a Motobecane sitting, we replaced the clutch with a clutch kit from treatland. I go to see how the spark is thinking that's the cause (this has been a long rebuild), and put my thumb on the spark plug hole and the piston isnt moving at all, no spark and other such. Its the Motobecane WITHOUT the variator.

62113964_2324087660971453_4931027685972377600_n.jpg

Re: My Motobecane clutch doesn't engage

Open the clutch cover and see if the starter arms are free to move. You will need to take off the springs to check ease of movement and then put the springs back after servicing. Use needle nose pliers to get the springs off.

If the arms are stiff then use some penetrating oil to free them up, work them back and forth a lot to get them moving, then chase out the oil with brake fluid so the pol does not contaminate the rubbing surface and ruin the pads.

Use some 220 aluminium oxide cloth to scuff up the pads and the rubbing surface of both the starter and main clutch for superior grip before reassembly.

am i missing something? spark has nothing to do with starter clutches except for turning the motor over but you could do that with a drill if your checking for spark. is the bike in pedal mode?

Its in engaged, but as I peddle I cant get the engine to move over at all, if I peddle excessively slow then I get a little pull on the piston but moving any faster as all then nothing.

do what moby says^^^report back if u stuck.

So you have a seized engine?

Rebel Moby, you are either the modern Job from the Bible or an elementary school teacher by nature. How do you have such patience for these perennial Moby noob questions?

Thanks for your very kind words.

I am thinking that my patience is from back in the 1970s when anything you needed to fix was ordered with money orders (or checks, which d=had 14 days additional waiting for the check 'to clear') sent in the mail and waiting for the parts to ship...

..the education is from the decades of phoquing things up and figuring out what does not work, and filtering out what does. I try hard so nothing is lost in translation as well.

...looking forward to CBBG11 on the weekend of December 11 to 13, ONLINE. Hopefully meet up with some goodly folks virtually...

> Steven Davis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Rebel Moby, you are either the modern Job from the Bible or an

> elementary school teacher by nature. How do you have such patience for

> these perennial Moby noob questions?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account