Bad brake cable removal

Danny Nicolosi /

Hi Everyone,

I tried Everything before posting this question.

I’m trying to remove the brake cable from their hand brake so I can replace it. Can anyone help explain how this cable comes off? Thanks a lot

201FC470-3FDD-477A-8ADB-F787170F8BD2.jpeg

Re: Bad brake cable removal

What does the other side of the lever look like

Have to turn the adjuster all the way in and then line the slots up and pull the cable housing out and slide the kneepro or barrel end out. Easy peasy

Danny Nicolosi /

Like this:

A159CF49-C2FD-46E0-9C9A-7784374AD463.jpeg

Danny Nicolosi /

I must be an idiot because it’s not easy 😆 I’m trying to remove the cable completely but still can’t.

71CEB38E-FCB2-46DB-8130-65E6E711D8D7.jpeg

Are you saying that your lever/cable setup DOESN'T look like this?

Screenshot191.png

Dude that adjuster screw is way way out. Spin the nut til it's all the way away from the lever, spin the adjuster all the way in

Frustrating isn't it..., i was stumped my first time as well, For a visual look up cable stop on treats and you'll see. loosen up cable, zip tie brake arm, push just cable torward hidden hallow space, this unlocks the cable end from the cable stop...knock out slide out and say "ah hah"

You just need slack on the cable inner wire, then push it in to the lever, and pull the roundy piece with the slit in out through the top.

There's a ball end on the cable that sticks in the roundy piece. You need to get that out of the way, that's why you need to push the cable in.

Danny Nicolosi /

I’ll try again. I tried Both ways. I’m obviously missing something. Thanks

Danny Nicolosi /

It is frustrating because I want to fire this thing up. It hasn’t ran since High School 1986 ! I disassembled it and did body work and paint on it. I’ll try again. I appreciate Everyone’s help

27D32697-5988-4793-B240-D4F68EE774CD.jpeg

> Danny Nicolosi Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It is frustrating because I want to fire this thing up. It hasn’t ran

> since High School 1986 ! I disassembled it and did body work and paint

> on it. I’ll try again. I appreciate Everyone’s help

If you can paint the bike you can get the cable out of the knarp lol. Take it off the brake lever, then push the cable through. Make sure that the end that goes in the brake arm is all the way against the housing, and that the cable isn't able to stick out anywhere except for inside the brake lever. Once you do that push down on the knarp cable catcher thing in the brake lever, like open end facing up, push closed end down to floor, it'll pop out. It's a simple ball and socket type joint, you have to move the "ball" of the cable out of the socket in order to remove it

Danny Nicolosi /

I hear You Nick 🤣 thanks for the instructions. It helps. I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks a lot

thats what i dont get, i can do mechanical stuff and hate painting, dont know all the tricks, i guess your the opposite.

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> thats what i dont get, i can do mechanical stuff and hate painting, dont

> know all the tricks, i guess your the opposite.

Haha I'm just ok at both.

Definitely try what Nick says but maybe this will help in a different way...

https://www.treatland.tv/magura-brake-cable-nipple-version-2-p/magura-cable-stop-0412280.htm

See the cross section of what you're trying to remove? Since it's slotted and the cable has a knarp on the end of it, you have to push the preload off of the knarp by pushing it further into the handle then hopefully the nipple will then just slide off and out...

Yours might be tight because of a frayed cable or some gunk in there or maybe the cable is hanging up somewhere in the sheath and won't give you the slack you need. No worries though... you'll get it.

Watch from step 4-6, this will help guide you through the process. I get it, it’s confusing having a bunch of people tell you things with out showing you things

hey danny, stick all your "i cant figure this out" posts here, i need a continous good laugh once in a while.

Danny Nicolosi /

Thanks everyone. I figured it out. Thanks for all the advice!

BD6AFEC0-C394-4E3D-971C-C448CBCA2AB9.jpeg

i think the best frustration thread was that marine that couldn't thread a throttle cable in a bendy.

That is a magnificent paint job. How did you do that?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account