Garelli gear box over flow

I have been helping my friend try to fix his 1980's garelli NOI for a few months now, and we really have no idea what's going on. The main issue is that the oil in the gearbox keeps boiling out of the fill bolt hole, while its in, and we don't know why. We've reassembled and cleaned the carb, the engine, swapped gaskets and seals out for new ones, and changed the crank seal about 3-4 times now, and it's still screwed. It's also very slow, and has no torque, but it might just be a slower variant. Any help for fixing, and/or subsequent tuning is appreciated.

Re: Garelli gear box over flow

look on myrons for type and amount. fill on side bolt till just spills out, cap.

What oil are you running in this?

I've been using non detergent gearbox oil that works for old vespa 2 strokes, which get alot hotter, and it's been filled to about 400ccs each time I run it.

Does your oil check bolt have a paper washer on it? It need one similar to what is on the drain bolt. Or the bolt itself needs to be plastic. Otherwise it will always leak.

The bolt is metal, but it has the paper washer, and if that's the issue, is it normal for the gear oil to get super hot?

Yes It should get so hot you can't touch it but not to worry because the oil is designed just for that. There should be a vent somewhere that might be plugged.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Oil doesn't "boil", but if it blowing out the vent in the filler bolt (which has to have a hole in it) then you probably have a case leak that's pressurizing the trans cavity, or, if you have no vent it will blow out with expansion

i just reread your post, so your saying the side fill bolt leaks, if your cover threads are "good" not stripped then just dab the washer with some sealer to get a good seal.

poke a small wire thru the vent hole to clear it, top of the motor somewhere.

performance, go thru the top post to troubleshoot. (edited)

Wait, I'm pretty damn sure you shouldn't be running gear oil. Isn't it supposed to be standard 30w?

30w non detergent oil.do not over fill. When I kitted one of mine with a pipe nd broke 44 mph, only then did I have trouble with oil spilling out the over flow. Wouldnt happen unless I ran flat out for several blocks.

There ya go. Try the correct oil first.

Fun fact. I find the 30w non detergent oil at autozone in the small section they have for lawnmower items.

Alright, I didn't know that there was a vent hole in the bike, and it's bone dry around there, so it sounds like it's probably blocked. Should I just jam a pick or a drill bit in there after I drain the oil, or is there a more proper way to unjam it?

wait a couple more weeks and then use whatever.

> Ian Woody Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Alright, I didn't know that there was a vent hole in the bike, and it's

> bone dry around there, so it sounds like it's probably blocked. Should I

> just jam a pick or a drill bit in there after I drain the oil, or is

> there a more proper way to unjam it?

Vent is on top of motor. Slip a piece of fuel line onto nipple and blow. If its plugged you'll know then.

20170428_013109.jpg
Screenshot_2020-11-18-12-15-02.png

(edited)

Just tried the fuel line thing, and it's definitely plugged, should I just try to pick the blockage out?

Might try a blow gun with compressed air or a sewing needle. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account