Trac Clipper starting clutch slips

It's a 1984 and runs splendidly now that carb problems have been partially resolved. Goes fast. But now the starting clutch plate seems to have gotten too thin or is just too slippery, so the bike is difficult to impossible to start. I suppose there's a way to get a new plate made, but is there any way of either resurfacing or shimming out the old clutch plate so that it'll work? I've sanded all clutch friction surfaces with fine sandpaper on a flat marble surface plate, but perhaps a coarser abrasive might work better. Any ideas?

Mark Kinsler

Re: Trac Clipper starting clutch slips

not too familiar, rougher is better, clean oils off w brake cleaner, maybe new starter shoes?

Yep. The starter shoes on my ancient Peugeot lasted for as long as I had it, but this one has a ring of thoroughly fried clutch material. Brake cleaner didn't help, probably because what's there is both thin and somewhat beyond 'well-done.' But '2-strokes' or whatever they're called had a replacement for $8.99 +$5 shipping, so I've ordered it. Now I'll have to figure out what to do about the rivets, which are put in by a 'spinning' tool. I should be able to make those, and I'll look to see how 'spun' rivets are installed.

Next: a better air cleaner and probably a different carburetor. And new cables.

Thanks.

Mark Kinsler

You might consider using pop rivets .

They did/are still doing a fine job on my Simplex shoes .

HPIM1534.jpg

That is a good idea. Thank you. I'll consider those if the brass rivets don't work out. Are those steel or aluminum pop rivets?

Mark Kinsler

> Mark Kinsler Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That is a good idea. Thank you. I'll consider those if the brass

> rivets don't work out. Are those steel or aluminum pop rivets?

>

> Mark Kinsler

I used aluminum rivets .

It seems the amount of force , being a transferred shear or frictional type , isn't nearly enough to harm the amount of rivets in play .

Brass rivets are traditionally used so that they don't scratch the iron brake drum when you wear the brake lining or clutch lining down to the rivet head. Aluminum would do this as well. I'm not sure that it makes much difference anyway, for they sell steel brake rivets, too.

Mark Kinsler

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account