1976 Peugeot 103

Hi, I would appreciate your help on this one.

I have inherited a 1976 Peugeot 103 with 1,100 miles on it. The last owners could not get it to run correctly. They put a new carb and lights on it. The past issues was that the bike was not going into neutral...... which turned out to be the clutch being installed semi backwards.

After that has been fixed the bike would run okay for a bit then die and not want to start again. That led me to the brake light ground wire in the handle bar being half disconnected. After bypassing and separating the engine ground from the brake and headlight....it runs perfectly....sometimes. It will sometimes backfire and run poorly.... then sometimes run great. Very confusing to me.

When the bike will not start at all, if i remove the engine ground wire the bike will start up.... but run poorly until high RPM. When I reconnect the ground wire the bike will die. Then 30min later it will run perfectly with the ground normally connected.

I took off the cover and it seems like the points are sparking a lot! I am not sure if that is normal or not. I do know the magneto and coil are known to go bad on these bikes but I hoping it is just a simple wiring problem or my gas tank.

I would really appreciate your help on solving this 5 year mystery. It has been amazing to finally hop on this bike and ride it around. I just want it to be 100% reliable.

Also could be my sketchy external gas tank lol

I attached a video of the moped running poorly, this is pretty bad and is not always this bad!

Video of the bike running (edited)

Optimized-IMG_4291.PNG

Re: 1976 Peugeot 103

> Bill Schulz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I would really appreciate your help on solving this 5 year mystery. It

> has been amazing to finally hop on this bike and ride it around. I just

> want it to be 100% reliable.

>

Good job getting it running so far. It seems like a definite electrical issue to me. If you want something 100% reliable sell it and buy a scooter. You cannot depend on a moped to get you where you want to go every single time.

I will not be using this to get to work haha, just to ride around and cruise. I have a Tomos that I would love to ride tandem with. Hoping a Peugeot expert will come to my rescue.

Dirty30 Dillon /

You should cease muckling with the 2-coil ignition and just spend the ~$100 for the Le Party CDI.

Your condensor is 100% fried, and judging by all that points arcing you need new points too. The CDI will replace all of that and then some, and you won't have to worry about intermitten spark ever again.

Use the search and wiki for more info on Le Partie setup.

Thank you Dillion. I have been eyeing the Le Party. Seems like that is the next move....

When you say the engine ground wire are you referring to the single black wire that comes from the back of the stator plate and plugs into the double black wires via a bullet connector?

It's probably a condenser, you can get the stock 2 coil to work pretty good if you tune it all up but it's one of those things that will fail eventually and probably a long ways from home. I would say go with the stock 5 coil -post for a used one on buy/sell- so you can keep the rest of the wiring stock.

Oh yeah one other thing, I spent like 4 months chasing a similar 'wiring' problem on one once- turned out to be bad case seal.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you a peugeot can't be reliable, I daily drove one for 2 years, left it outside all the time, sold it to a buddy who rode it 2 or 3 more years kept under a tarp with zero maintenance, then he sold it to another guy who for all I know is still riding it, but it's probably in a river somewhere.

. (edited)

Yes exactly it. Single black wire that comes from the back of the stator plate and plugs into the double black wires.

Thanks for the tips Graham. I am probably going to go with the Le Partie setup on Treats.

if you look on myrons website and read thru peugeot ignition troubles, it might be helpful to search other posts here as well.

As mentioned above, if u go cdi you'll have to rewire brake circuit, and change switches.

Tweaker trash /

Condenser

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account