Puch Maxi Stator rebuild

Daniel San Giuliano /

So ive replaced my spark points and condensor on my maxis stator and i greased the points as well, do I need to set a gap for the points or isnt that just apart of timing the engine when I reassemble it

Re: Puch Maxi Stator rebuild

Yeah, you can only set the point gap when the stator's on the bike and the flywheel is in place. There's like a lump on the inside of the flywheel where it fits over the crank, and it pushes open the little nub on the points, so everything has to be in position when you loosen and then tighten the points bolt.

Before you put it all back together, drop a little oil on the felt pad. It lubes that point of contact with the nub.

Daniel San Giuliano /

Ok Ill have to take off the wheel again or try to jimmy the oil in because i areassmbled it but i still dont have spark. I really dont know what more i can do to fix this now. I ordered a new spark boot but beside that the last thing I can think to replace is the ignition coils?

There are a bunch of things that commonly interfere with spark, but coils aren’t among them. I mean I guess it’s possible but it’s usually a bad connection, an inadvertent ground, or something else between the coil and the plug.

Are the points opening and closing when you turn the flywheel by hand?

On the wiring job you did, does the ignition coil lead to the points and the condenser and then up and out of the engine to the HT coil?

Do you get anything if you take the boot off and test for spark using just the wire?

Do you have a horn?

Daniel San Giuliano /

the points do open I gapped and timed them properly, the ignition coil is also wired and set up right but ive never tried for spark with just the wire ill have to try that, I bought a new spark boot as well to switch out for reassurance and as for the horn I do have one that does also work and ive tried bypassing it to no success either way

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account