Motobecane 50v

George taylor /

Got a 1977 put new cables on it clean the carbator n new motor mounts now when pedal to start it won't kick in piston don't move but when I turn it by hand it turns what did I do

Re: Motobecane 50v

¿huh?

Check that the decompressor cable is properly adjusted, it could be too much resistance from compression. If it is a old belt and getting burnished or stiff sides then it slips easier. Cheapo belts grip like crazy, a cheap A30 or 4L320 belt would fir the 50V and be grippier than a old one.

George taylor /

I just put a new belt on the outer piece spins but the piece that makes the piston move does not spin I can do it by hand n I it makes the piston move so what came lose do I need to take the clutch off (edited)

It's hard to follow what you are saying. But if it turned over before the new cables were installed then your decomp isn't functioning.

I was going to say starter clutch, but if it worked before you replaced the cables then it's your decomp. Adjusted wrong.

is the V/L switch in the correct position?

it locks the large pully onto the pedal shaft's inner sprocket. If it is not grabbing the sprocket, then pedaling won't move the belt.

Also perhaps the clutch is stuck in the "fast" position and didn't kick the engine back forward? I used to have to heel tap the front of mine to get the clutch back into it's slow position and the engine to pivot forward. Tried grease but the heel tap always worked.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account