'78 Garelli VIP 2 speed

Rich Thomson /

Appears to have seized motor. Is there anything that would cause the piston to stop moving and appear to be seized? Like rubber turning to glue.

Re: '78 Garelli VIP 2 speed

Easiest first : pull the head and have a look .

Rich Thomson /

P D Thanks, don't want to part out if can avoid. But don't think should be 1st project either.

Get out of that rocking chair , spend 2 minutes and remove 4 nuts . You'll have a better understanding than the guesses you'll get by asking folks from who knows where .

Do you know if your bike had the rubber piston?

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Do you know if your bike had the rubber piston?

Yep^^ there was a recall on the 78 models with rubber pistons.

Rich Thomson /

Everybody has one, so do most website.

Post a pic of the piston and cylinder . ;)

Rich Thomson /

I have more if these don't tell a story.

tempImageJJtft1.jpg
tempImageNyf3tj.jpg
tempImage4rYP8D.jpg

That looks to have soft seized , but , not enough to stop the piston from moving .

Can the crank be turned by hand ?

> P D Wrote:

> That looks to have soft seized , but , not enough to stop the piston

> from moving .

>

> Can the crank be turned by hand ?

Hopefully the rubber crank didnt melt too.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > That looks to have soft seized , but , not enough to stop the piston

>

> > from moving .

>

> >

>

> > Can the crank be turned by hand ?

>

> Hopefully the rubber crank didnt melt too.

Oh , that would be a biggg problem . LOL

I'm wondering if something else along the drive train isn't completely up to par .

Rich Thomson /

Yes crank turns. As it turned out piston not seized at all. I'm not sure what soft seize is. Think its salvageable, or are u suggesting another 4 bolts. Guess this was a rubber piston prototype.

Yes , very salvageable .

Seeing the amount of blow by , it might be best to install a new set of rings .

That would require a cylinder honing and cleaning the piston and ring landings .

Rich Thomson /

Your speculation is very probable. This should be gone through fully. After all it is 40 years and unknown prior operators. Appears to have been stored inside. As a newbie, I think its best I set-aside for now. I have an e50 to break my chops in on. I’m sure the rubber piston & crank are next to impossible to find. Thanks for all your help and advice, we will chat here in the future.

I really think you are yanking my chain on the rubber piston.

THEY ARE FUCKING REAL!!!

Rich Thomson /

Back at it with this puppy. Replacing cylinder with stock kit. Replacing rubber parts of clutch. Would like to reuse rubber dogs for now, I know that's not Ideal but they seem to be in good shape. How in the wild world of sports do I get those dogs back in the outer hub or can I without toasting them? I know about the rivet replacement will use if necessary. Is there any where to get replacement dogs? I've read some of the older post, I'll follow up on that info if necessary. Any info ever develop on using the rubber mounts from a dell computer fan? OH, Cheetachrome no rubber piston, sorry. Ha!

tempImagesJNtEK.jpg
tempImageEKWZSJ.jpg
tempImage3LKtKH.jpg

That second speed rubber looks eaten away on one side. Maybe flip it when re-installing it and you may get some additional life out of it, while you order a new one. I might even have a spare one I can sell ya, but Treats usually has them, or Dos cycles.

Rich Thomson /

Jay, does that look like normal wear? When I drained the oil it had supper fine black residue, like fine as powder. Oil was heavy more like a 90 weight gear oil. Could that indicate original oil? Everyone seem to be using 30 ND. What do U use for tranni oil? Thanks on the offer, I got new ones from Treats, think i should have stock options in them by now.

I have not seen them worn down so much before to know how "normal" that is. But you can only run 30W non detergent oil. Or other weight but it has to be non detergent.

Hope you have it running again soon.

why do you call the rubber nipples dogs? hot dog ,caninie dog ,slow dog snoop dog.

Although very difficult it is possible to reuse those rubber nipples. Two hand special crafted dog tools and patience dog.

Fine powder is rubber, get it all out as a few small chunks can sieze your dog clutch bell to your crank. Also dog highly reccommend changing both crank seals dog.

Rich Thomson /

Found dog tool pretty slick, Slick. Dogs tail provider just enough leverage. Would like to change seals having trouble removing peddles from shaft even tried firing up with Mepp Gas, can't budge bolts out of shaft. Any other ideas welcomed.

tempImageBV19fm.jpg
tempImagezYnFih.jpg

popping them out is easy, putting em back on is the trick.

if you heat the pedal arm(to expand away from the pin) back off the nut a wee bit and give it a resounding blow with a hammer it will pop out, obviously hit the side with the nut/threads down. Not a tap, whack it, mught wanna blick the shaft up for safety.

Just be careful whacking the pedal arm pins. They tend to mushroom the threads. Heat and give a little tap on the non threaded end to break it loose. Not too hard o that end or you can get it more stuck. Also give the pedal a little wiggle before hitting it on the thread side. Hit a couple, another wiggle, hit again, another wiggle. Repeat until it comes out. Worst case it isnt budging. You smash the bolt out but mushroomed the tip. Just get a new pin to replace it. Double check measurements as there are a few sizes of these.

Rich Thomson /

WOW, burn the house down, had to get those things hot!! Worked great. Be taking my time going forward,Thanks.

Rich Thomson /

So this is where I'm at on this rebuild. Replaced seals & bearings. Crank rod has maybe a thirty-second play in it. Flex-Honed the cylinder. The groves in the cylinder still exist, you can feel them dragging finger nail, however not hanging up as it did before. Do I keep Flex-Honing, go to a different type honing method or is it toast?

tempImageyafxfq.jpg
tempImageaPeEyK.jpg
tempImageDCE5FL.jpg

Your just a wasting your time, there should be no play up n down at all, post for another crank n top end on B/S. For as deep as those grooves are your, once you hone perfect then you have to go a size up on piston n matching rings,(anyone have one laying around) a flexible ball hone aint gonna do it.myrons page has a great writeup on inspecting a motor.

I feel like one of the sites has these stock cylinders available...

Rich Thomson /

Just recieved NOS cylinder kit. It appears to be a low compression (red dot) with fiat top piston. The original is a high compression cylinder (white dot) with dome top piston. Any known issues using this replacement NOS cylinder? I also have a NOS Gulp Matic crank, can I use it, since case already cracked open? Reference a prior post,(5-27-2019 by Yugi Trall), it appears the Gulp One Speed crank and VIP practically identical, except for length of a few mm on one side of shaft. Do the Gulp Matic and the Gulp ONE Speed use the same crank? If not any suggestions on who would have a replacement piston roller bearing for VIP crank.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account