Cleaning Moped gas tank

Rosario Miller /

Hi. Just purchased an old moped it's one of the ones that the frame is also the gas tank. I have cleaned serval motorcycle gas tanks with white vinegar and they have come out fine. Was wondering if I can do the same to this? I am also thinking about using toilet bowl cleaner but my main concern is damaging the frame. This picture is not mine but looks like it

eaccdf7b89af1cc5b29423a26fdbdb75.jpg

Re: Cleaning Moped gas tank

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Get yourself a $15 usb endoscope camera that you can hook to your phone, drain the tank, and take a peek inside. That'll give you a good idea of what you're up against.

When it comes to cleaning, honestly, don't bother with vinegar. I highly recommend some Evaporust. It works extremely well and only dissolves rust, and does it way faster than vinegar.

First you should rinse the tank thoroughly with water and degreaser, or acetone, alcohol, mineral spirits or whatever. Then fill with evaporust and let it sit for 24hrs. Drain, rinse with water, then quickly with lots of alcohol to remove the moisture, and then fill with premix.

I've just done the tank on an identical machine, using a mixture of white vinegar, baking soda, and warm water.....it seems to have worked a treat.....

Rosario Miller /

My concern with the vinegar is that it will flash rust to quick. I’ll just have to be extra quick but I’ll give it a shot.

Unless you're planning to clean it and store it for the winter, don't worry about flash rust. It'll disappear when you add fuel.

It's the big chunks of rust and fossilized fuel you need to worry about.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Unless you're planning to clean it and store it for the winter, don't

> worry about flash rust. It'll disappear when you add fuel.

>

> It's the big chunks of rust and fossilized fuel you need to worry about.

Yes, this^^^....which is why i suggested the usb endoscope camera, super handy

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Break down to just frame.

Fill with a 3rd a tank of ice rigg with bungies to a crafter or horizontal shake the f out of it.

Procede to clean with....

Rosario Miller /

What am I looking for with the camera? Am I looking for huge pieces of rust?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You can just get a telescopic dental mirror and a penlight...

It was the 70s people..m

Damn kids...usb.cable.iotic. Mumblyguck. ...

Rosario Miller /

I would say in 2020 it’s 10 times easier to get a usb camera for your phone vs a dental mirror. Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong places :)

I used in mine muriatic acid! Fill the tank and keep it there for 15 minutes, then drain(before start remove petcock first and use an plastic stopper at hole, haves to be very well sealed). After drain all liquid If needed repeat the process many times until all rust have been removed. Be very carefull working with this acid, use long rubber gloves, mask and security glasses for your protection. This process will create an nocive gas, just can be made in an very ventillated place or outdoor only. Attention to paint and floor, this acid is very corrosive, will damage all kind of surfaces.

get off my lawn.

Pushrod Fifty /

Definately strip it down first, its alot easier.

Evaporust. Works great.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account