Frozen Carb

Hi Guys, I have a carb that is frozen. I cant take it apart at all. What do you guys recommend i soak it in to loosen up the parts? Penetrating oil? automatic transmission fluid? What have you guys done to make it work?

Re: Frozen Carb

I would use some gas. I always had a catch can of old gas in the garage back home for cleaning stuff.

Dirty30 Dillon /

What carb is it?

A Mukinu Amal VM 17 SC Carburetor.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Johnny C Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> A Mukinu Amal VM 17 SC Carburetor.

Mikuni and Amal are two very different companies, but I am guessing you mean Mikuni VM17SC.

You can't get the bowl off the carb? A little bit of heat will help (heat gun) and than a stern whack with a hard mallet.

No i got the bowl off, cant get the jets out or the cables or anything else.

Post pics .

I soaked an UGLY bing 14 in some diluted toilet bowl cleaner. Soaked it for about 10 minutes and then rinsed it in hot water. Agitated the corrosion and rinsed again. Then soaked in toilet cleaner for another couple minutes. It was pretty damned clean after that. I took it apart easily and cleaned it all out, re-jetted it and it works great.

This picture was taken after the first soaking.

20201125_181941.jpg

well clean it with wire brush then penetrating oul, then heat it up, repeat

You guys asked for a picture, see the mess that i have to try to bring back to life, I have some gas in a safety can that i can try to loosen up jets and what not.

IMG_20201222_125233190.jpg
IMG_20201222_125235566.jpg

You might take a clue from this guy :

> Taylor King Wrote:

> I soaked an UGLY bing 14 in some diluted toilet bowl cleaner. Soaked it

> for about 10 minutes and then rinsed it in hot water. Agitated the

> corrosion and rinsed again. Then soaked in toilet cleaner for another

> couple minutes. It was pretty damned clean after that. I took it apart

> easily and cleaned it all out, re-jetted it and it works great.

>

Toilet cleaner. Itll make that carb look new. All of the brass parts will be shiny and new looking. Just be sure to rinse it extremely well after soaking it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Toilet bowl cleaner will also weaken aluminum, which is pretty awful when it comes to something that has a bunch of threaded alu items.

I would just grab the jets and twist them out. Youre going to have to replace every jet as it looks anyways

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Toilet bowl cleaner will also weaken aluminum, which is pretty awful

> when it comes to something that has a bunch of threaded alu items.

>

> I would just grab the jets and twist them out. Youre going to have to

> replace every jet as it looks anyways

What does the OP have to loose ?

And , I doubt 10 minutes will do anything but help .

What about ATP? I found some in the garage, and was going to try that. I heard it works really well...but love to get your thoughts.

What is ATP ?

Sorry not ATP, i meant Automatic Transmission Fluid

Ahh , although ATF does have cleaners , they are much more 'subtle' compared to toilet bowl cleaner . Like 2 months , and that's only a maybe , compared to 10-20 minutes .

You might consider trying CLR or Lime-a-way . I suppose even drain cleaners might work , but , I'd keep a very close eye on those . I'm suggesting experimentally . Short exposure times to get an idea of effects .

What ever you decide to do , please , post what you do and your results . ;) (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account