Help for a rookie!

Hello people, im new around here, and completelly new into 2 strokes, and engines in general. however, since pandemic started and because i dont have a icense, mopeds have been my thing lately. Recently i got my moped stolen, and thanks to online communicy i was able to recover it. whoever stole it, made a mess with it, and ever since iver been changing what a can, like the new throttle and carburator. However, not that the bike starts is having what I think is an Air leak Problem, but I I thinkg Im totaly wrong... so was hoping somone here could help me with this.

puchhh.jpg

Re: Help for a rookie!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

When looking for a vacuum leak you need something heaver then air so it doesn't vaporize and get sucked in to the carb, I use a propane torch that's unlit of course and run it around any where you have a gasket or seal. the engine will die when you hit the leak so you need to go slow and take your time.

In the video it seems like you're snapping open the throttle from fully closed to fully open as fast as you can and then the motor is bogging. Have you been able to coax the motor up to a higher RPM by opening the throttle a little at a time? The next video you make we need to see your throttle hand. And, did you try running it without the air filter?

Thanks a lot I have a propane tank, will try that, someone also mentioned that carb cleaner is useful to find leaks. Thanks a lot will be posting more as o work

I'm going to try doing it with out the air filter!, and make a better video. The throttle bar is funky, but I have definetly tried do in it slowly.

However, will make a better video! Thanks so much for the help!!

> Pedro Diaz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks a lot I have a propane tank, will try that, someone also

> mentioned that carb cleaner is useful to find leaks. Thanks a lot will

> be posting more as o work

Carb cleaner will vaporize when it hits a hot surface and get sucked it to the carb giving you a false test .

HEY YALL!,

thanks for the help. tried without the air filter and the problem persist, here I attached another video that shoes how im using the throttle, hope it helps. and will be doing the torch one and see if i can find any leak. a friend commented that it sounds as if the bike is choking on Fuel.

here is the kink for the second video, sorry for the poor recording but is my myself and I xD.

20201222_190452.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Hehehe

Run it without covers in the dark.

Then throttle up slowly w front brake held.

After that pull fuel line check flow...

You do know a puch choke is off in the pulled position.

But you need a license in california to ride a moped....more than a driver's license actually. M1 or m2 motorcycle right? (edited)

Yeah you need more than a driver's license in Cali, unless you just have the M1 or M2 or whatever and no driver's license

As far as I know, you do not need motorcycle license on anything under 125 CC in CA, a regular license works just fine. And in San Francisco I have never had the police stopped me.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Hehehe

>

> Run it without covers in the dark.

>

> Then throttle up slowly w front brake held.

>

> After that pull fuel line check flow...

>

> You do know a puch choke is off in the pulled position.

God I'm sorry, but I do not understand the terminology, what do you mean by "run it without covers in the dark"?

And regarding the choke I'm assuming your talking about the pin in the Carburator, right? I only push it down to turn on the bike, and as soon as I use the throttle I pops up.

Thanks for the help :) been reading Fred's guide

> Pedro Diaz Wrote:

> As far as I know, you do not need motorcycle license on anything under

> 125 CC in CA, a regular license works just fine. And in San Francisco I

> have never had the police stopped me.

They will, hundreds of people on this site live in cali and this has been discussed here before.

Oh well, I should better get onto that M1 then, don't want no problem with the law xD. I'm new in all this.

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

> Pedro Diaz Wrote:

> As far as I know, you do not need motorcycle license on anything under

> 125 CC in CA, a regular license works just fine. And in San Francisco I

> have never had the police stopped me.

You're definitely supposed to have a motorcycle license but you can probably bullshit your way through any conversation with a cop you find yourself in.

20201223_094345.jpg
20201223_094404.jpg

Wow, loving this community already,

thanks a lot for the knowledge, could have gotten in trouble. Someone told me I did not need one, and I did not investigate further. Anyhow, will get into that sooner rather than later...

Still have the bogging, fuel choking, airleak whatever issue that is. So will try to get my hands onto that, if anything comes to mind please let me know, so I can give it a try.

Clean your carb.

Also, (for a stock unmodified moped that fits the reg 230 definition) I'm willing to argue the requirement for an M1 M2 motorcycle endorsement in cali is not needed, only a class c drivers license needed and no insurance is required.

But please quote california laws. If your >30 mph heavily modified kitted moped goes light speed and does not fit the reg 230 definition of a moped then you need an endorsement and insurance.

That bike sounds like it has some issues. It sounds like a fourstoke almost.

What I would do is remove the whole top end to inspect the piston rings and cylinder. Then if everything looks good, reassemble with some new gaskets and see how it sounds and runs after that. Get a good crush gasket for the exhaust.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account