Odd vespa question

So here's what I have going on: variated vespa bravo did a malossi gears and swapped for a treats lightened clutch bell. The bell rubs up against where the clutch shoes sit and is hard to start so I fixed that by shimming out and it Freed up and spins freely but, now I have where if it hits speeds it acts like I'm pulling on the decomp then dies off. Ive tried everything from lapping the valve seat to loosening up the tension on the belt still does the same thing. But once its swapped for a single speed transmission it operates normal. What in the wild world is even going on?

Re: Odd vespa question

yeah, pretty strange the only thing that i can think of killing the motor is kill switch, decomp and brake light wiring. So...im thinking that w variator hub the whole thing is vibrating more causing a short in your ignitiom, killing the motor.

If its stock ext ignition ground then try w variator hub, grounding that one wire out the stator plate. That would disable your break light circuit. Take it for a run and if that fixes it, then run two new wires in the rear fender well as those could be bad.

I'm running a malossi cdi headlights and tail light hooked up. The only thing I can think of is shimming on the gears for the transmission. But, I've found three different ways to build a variated transmission so I'm completely confused

Did you change the wire off of the ignition coil? I had a similar weird running issue with my dads si there happened to be a break in the line off of the ignition coil behind the flywheel that would randomly cause it to die or misfire. I soldered a new wire on and it’s been running great since.

Never mind I didn’t see you were running a cdi

None of these issues are happening with my single speed transmission when I swap the transmission over from variated to single speed. Which has me completely baffled.

so you can spin the variated tranny by hand with no issues?

Yes. Theres slight in and out play on the output shaft. Also the disengagement button for switching over to bicycle mode will work properly like once or twice then when you push it in it doesn't pop back out like I have to pull it. I feel like I've done something wrong here but I went off of the vespa shop guide to rebuilding the transmission.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The trans engage/disengage should not get stuck. This may indicate a rebuild error.

Would a rebuild error cause strange issues to happen like what im experiencing? Where at speed it acts like the decomp is stuck open.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Robert Emery Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Would a rebuild error cause strange issues to happen like what im

> experiencing? Where at speed it acts like the decomp is stuck open.

It could cause a slew of problems, could be binding the drive, or binding the output.

It's hard tellin, not knowin

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account