1978 Vespa Grande Deluxe no start

Andre Vector /

I have a new to me 1978 Grande Deluxe that has not run for 5+ years. There is spark, new fuel and I cleaned the carb but it will not turn over.

It has the Dellorto SHA 12.12 carb and looking for advice on next steps or if its worth buying a new carb

Re: 1978 Vespa Grande Deluxe no start

If the exhaust is known clear , clean the carb , again .

Tear it completely apart ... remove every possible piece . Clean each and spray brake cleaner through ever passage and insure that the cleaner comes out where it's suppose to . Wear eye protection .

Be sure there's good fuel flow to the carb .

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

Compression is another possible issue, see it the decomp lever is stuck and do the thumb test. Replace the spark plug as well, some will spark fine out of the engine but under pressure and heat won’t

whats wrong with the old carb? if you speay some premix down your plug hole and she fires tyen its most likely your crank seal is messed up.

Andre Vector /

I am not sure if anything is wrong with the old carb, besides it being old and not maintained. I have cleaned it again but still not turning over. I will try the premix down the spark plug hole. How much should be sprayed in?

Andre Vector /

I will check the decomp lever and try the thumb test. I had to search what that one was!

Thanks for the advice

Is your plug wet at all? did you clean and set your points thru that rubber window? vespa has external ignition ground thru the rear brake bulb, research on myrons web page.

for the amount of gas a few

a few squirts should do it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account