Replaced condenser on Bravo, now it won't run

Nick Johnston /

My 77 Vespa Bravo was having an issue where it would start fine, run for 10ish minutes, then stop running until the next day. I tried replacing the condenser, now it won't start at all. I cleaned the carb and it has spark, not sure what the issue could be.

Re: Replaced condenser on Bravo, now it won't run

seems like it would be the condenser,Did you spray a little 2 stroke mix in it and try it? Did you have to hold the iron on the condenser a long time? Maybe you can use a screw on connection.

Nick Johnston /

There's 2 stroke oil mixed in with the gas at 1:50. What do you mean by iron on the condenser? I just screwed it on inside the flywheel.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Double check the spark plug and cap and make sure they're not both resistor

He means did you get the new condenser too hot when you soldered it in? Get em' too hot and you can kill them from the get go.

My guess is the simplest. Did you wire it in correctly?

Clean the points? Did you screw somthing up whilst cleaning the carb? Accendentally ground the kill wire?

Could be alotta things. Post a pic of your new condenser install.

Dirty30 Dillon /

This screams mis-install.

Either not installed correctly, points fouled, or very likely timing thrown from displaced woodruff key.

Pushrod Fifty /

Try a new plug, it coyld be fouled, make sure the cap is screwed good into the plug wire, and check for spark against the head. If you have to open it up again, make sure the condenser body is grounded, your points are clean with no oily residue, set and timed. Wires not grounding out from abrasion onto the flywheel, and external wiring clean and well connected.

Nick Johnston /

Ok I opened up the magneto, here are pictures of the condenser. I didn't solder it in, just screwed on the wire connection. The blue ignition ground wire was a bit wrecked so I connected a new wire (under the blue electrical tape).

IMG_0044.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0046.jpg

Nick Johnston /

Here's the condenser pics

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 3.59.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 3.59.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 3.59.59 PM.png

What’s under that blue tape? Raunchy soldering will add resistance where you need clean connections. Start by redoing your wiring and use some proper solder and flux so that solder flows quickly easily—if you’re holding that iron too long, you’re burning stuff that needs to be clean. Then consider just starting over with an auto parts store (old school VW or Chevy—they’re not expensive) condenser (or Amazon, around $8) installed outside of the flywheel—again, good, clean soldering of your (re-)wiring and finished with heat shrink. BTW, I’ve bought condensers that were bad out of the box, so at least if it’s out from under the flywheel, you can swap it easily, make sure that’s not your problem. Come back with an update...

Nick Johnston /

So replacing the blue ground wire actually did it, it's just a male to female connector under there. It still seems like there's an electrical issue (the headlight flickers when I rev the engine) but the moped's running now. I'll open it back up and solder on a new wire soon.

^^^yes, Listing clear info and work done are important details to diagnos problems. Original issue was non runner after 10mins, changed condenser and now it doesnt run at all? Then we find out the all important external ignition ground was taped back together.... "blue wire was replaced because of x,y,z". Very important detail!

Richard Eberline /

reinstall the condenser and fix the ground wire. The top of the yellow wire is rubbing the top of the flywheel magneto. the points cam has a burr on the edge. What is the blue wire grounded to???????????????

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account