Treat's $70 Motobecane stock variator/clutch replacement ?

What do I need to do to install this on my bike-this bike was missing everything-I bought the 2 shims and circlips-special extra small snap ring pliers ? It doesn't have the grease fitting with it-size ? I take it the bearing already comes in there because it looks like everything is pre greased ? I've read it needs tightened up-torque specs ? Do I have to regrease by the fitting once everything is together-looks like the 3 ball bearings are dry ? Thanks Marty

Re: Treat's $70 Motobecane stock variator/clutch replacement ?

i always check that fasteners are tight on any assembly we buy - new or used.

The cartridge usually has anticorrosion on it not really grease, so you want to jam some goodly GP grease into the cartridge. Also make sure on the crank the old shyte grease is chased out, then fill it with goodly stuff.

The balls should have a light lube film on then, same with the movable cheek where it touches the center shaft.

The correct pliers are handy to have, or get some forceps and rework the tips to fit the tiny ends of the truarcs. You will need the tool to remove the variator. To install lube the crank shaft with some gp grease and slide in on until you hear the click on the internal truarc grabbing on the groove in the crank shaft.

theres a complete motobecane motor on cl SF for 80.

also on youtube theres videos as well, might give you a better visual of whats going on in there. As for the nut torque ummmm, 25lbs or so should be plenty.

Marty White /

The only fasteners on this is the large reverse thread nut on the backside and the small nut on the end of the crank, everything else is pressed and has springs-am i missing something here ?

Richard Eberline /

4 slotted screws m5 - 0.75 x 14mm, Odd thread pitch on a oem variator. After market may be different.

Marty White /

Also anyone know what size and length the variator cover/shield bolts are ?

Richard Eberline /

Its a belt guard, m5 - 0.90 x 10mm and another french size. A normal is m5 - 0.80.

Marty White /

Are these phillips heads or hex and with lock washers i presume ?

Marty White /

Back to square one of pulling this off and seeing what's going on in here. Rebelmoby you said grease the cartridge-what is this exactly ? Any diagrams on what to grease and what to look for here would be helpful ???

translation cartridge = needle bearing = caged bearing.

Marty White /

Then i can grease through the crank zerk i take it-how do i know how much to put in-does it start running out somewhere ?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account