Stripped Drain Plug Fix?

I bought a 1977 Puch Newport that has a stripped transmission drain bolt. I've looked on Ebay, and Amazon, and in auto parts stores for an oversized piggyback drain plug to fix the leak but no one seems to have a plug this small (M8 threads, 10mm long, 13mm Hex head with slot).

Can anyone offer a practical solution to remedy this problem?; any help would be welcome.

Thank you.

Re: Stripped Drain Plug Fix?

How stripped is it? If it still threads in but slips when you torque it down, you can try Teflon tape, or an old mechanic's trick is to wrap the threads with dental floss or some thin string.

hmm, maybe an expansion rubber plug, like on a boat, or one of those flup over dodads.

Get you an 8.0 x 1.25

Helicoil.

drill it retap it for larger short bolt use the cover fill size gasket for larger bolts pro tip

May be heresy to some, but you could still and tap to an SAE size like 3/8” and that opens up a lot of options for sources for cheap taps, common sealing gaskets, and screws to install afterward

Teflon tape always works, just be careful when you tighten it down.

I actually got an oversize 8mm bolt for my Sebring MO2 from AUTOZONE (years ago) that stripped. Worked well. I know they made a oversize one so they probably still do.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account