Wangy Engine Noise from E50

roots to wings /

77 Maxi e50 with 65 cc airsal screams like a banshee at WOT and when I lay off the throttle. I mean like imagine Ted Nugent on acid. Bottom end has never been rebuilt and wondering if this is what is causing the noise. 10k miles on it.

I have another 77 with less than 300 miles on it, totally original and stock that I can barely here.

Should I expect the screamer to quiet down after rebuilding the bottom end?

Re: Wangy Engine Noise from E50

My first E50 sang the Wango Tango.

Like super loud gear noise. Hurt my ears if I didn’t have a helmet on.

Possibly the reason Mike’s final drive gear has those pucks in there? I bet that gear is silent.

I never rebuilt that engine. Sold it that way. It ran a lot miles making that noise. Didn’t get better and didn’t break.

Very curious to hear if you have time to post a video -

Doing a little more thinking, and a bit of googling, I feel confident in saying the noise probably increases with wear on the gears.

Or, the gear clearance wasn’t as tight from the factory. Austrian koalaity control makes me lean toward the gears just being worn.

As the clearance between the gear teeth opens up, the teeth which once smoothly eased onto each other, now hit.

That makes the annoying noise.

For shits and giggles, swap the clutch bell from the quiet engine onto the loud one. Hopefully those clever Austrian engineers made the clutch gear ever so slightly softer than the final drive gear. In which case, the clutch bell (which is easier to replace) would be the consumable part.

Someone will check me if that’s all crazy talk.

roots to wings /

Not quite in your league honky cat. I had started to think maybe bent crank but would never imagined the gearing itself could have wear. If that’s true new bearings and seals won’t alleviate the noise, correct?

Dirty30 Dillon /

GIven that you haven't used any descriptors of the noise, it's impossible to say that it's gear noise over bearing over small end bushing.

A video would solve this issue.

I've never found a set of E50 gears that were sloppy enough to howl. Chipped teeth? Sure, never loud enough to hear over a kitted bike.

I am going to put money on bearing howl and/or small end brass bushing galling.

Lol. I have a league.

Sorry if my words made me sound like I know something for certain. I have built a few E50’s and ridden a lot of miles. Make no mistake, my response to this post was only an attempt at helpful conjecture.

A decent audio recording of the sound would be priceless in getting to the bottom of it.

@Dirty30

What does bearing howl and small end bushing noise sound like? I have experienced wheel bearing failure in a car. It doesn’t resonate anything like the Nuge. That’s apples and oranges, but the only bearing noise I have to go on.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What does bearing howl and small end bushing noise sound like? I have

> experienced wheel bearing failure in a car. It doesn’t resonate anything

> like the Nuge. That’s apples and oranges, but the only bearing noise I

> have to go on.

I have no idea how "the Nuge" translates into a real description. Main bearings will sounds like a hollow grinding noise, small end brass bushing will screech.

roots to wings /

This is an older version of it...

E50 wango tango

I could hear a normal gear sound in the background.

In the background of that horrible other sound.

That horrible other sound which I have never heard before.

So, I’m out.

Any clickity sounds that follow engine rpm would make me take my cylinder off and check play/fit in all them reciprocating parts.

could that be piston slap? detonation? somthin's not right

roots to wings /

Clearer version of the issue

Hrmph.

So, the clearer version sounds pretty normal to me.

Can you give an exact time in that audio recording of the sound that is worrying you?

doesnt sound like piston slap nor bearing howl, but a tingy rattle, like a loose rattlimg starter plate or keys jingling.

roots to wings /

The two times I lay off the throttle at 21 seconds in and 1:32 in

I put in ear buds and turned em up. I have some pretty messed up ears.

It still sounds clickity to me.

When the throttle is open and burning fuel is pushing against the piston, rings, etc, the piston wrist pin is always pressed toward the crank.

When the throttle shuts, I think there isn’t as much pressure up top and the conrod has to pull the piston back down.

Any slack in any bushing or bearing on the conrod will make a noise when the loading transitions.

Could just be something loose rattling on the bike. Safe thing would definitely be to pull the cylinder and check for any play.

Hold the flywheel at different positions and see if you can push/pull the piston and get any play.

Johnny Braaapp /

Just pull it apart and inspect what's going on in there. Somethin ain't right, and you'd figure it out yourself. Beats typing away and waiting for others to tell you what to do to your bike... (edited)

roots to wings /

Thanks Johnny brap. Pulling it apart myself is on the docket, but I was hoping the experts may have come across this before. I am a newb and have yet to drop the bottom end. I had to put a new external condenser on just to get this video. This is the bike as it sits.

The elusive e50 wail

I feel like I have had an engine with that sound before. I believe it was some kind of rattle in the piston. The bushing on your conrod at your piston may have worn down enough to allow some play. I'm sure the bottom end refresh you were thinking about would be the best place to start. Get a new crank with a needle bearing while you are at it.

Johnny Braaapp /

Rod bearing

roots to wings /

A guy on another forum had the exact same sound and he ended up having to replace the clutch bell and starter plate as the play was causing the metallic sounding rattle off throttle after a year of searching. He actually sent me a video of the bad bell and starter plate showing how it rattled. So at this point when I pull it apart I am looking at crank bushing, clutch bell, clutch bell gear, starter plate. I'd hate to replace the clutch assembly and crank, especially when I just snoozed on an e50 motor for $100.

Probably Fred /

> roots to wings Wrote:

> A guy on another forum had the exact same sound and he ended up having

> to replace the clutch bell and starter plate as the play was causing the

> metallic sounding rattle off throttle after a year of searching. He

> actually sent me a video of the bad bell and starter plate showing how

> it rattled. So at this point when I pull it apart I am looking at crank

> bushing, clutch bell, clutch bell gear, starter plate. I'd hate to

> replace the clutch assembly and crank, especially when I just snoozed on

> an e50 motor for $100.

You snoozed on 40 year old used e50 motor that most likely needs the same thing yours needs (a Rebuild)

Johnny Braaapp /

Just rebuild it.

/thread

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> > roots to wings Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > A guy on another forum had the exact same sound and he ended up having

>

> > to replace the clutch bell and starter plate as the play was causing

> the

>

> > metallic sounding rattle off throttle after a year of searching. He

>

> > actually sent me a video of the bad bell and starter plate showing how

>

> > it rattled. So at this point when I pull it apart I am looking at

> crank

>

> > bushing, clutch bell, clutch bell gear, starter plate. I'd hate to

>

> > replace the clutch assembly and crank, especially when I just snoozed

> on

>

> > an e50 motor for $100.

>

> You snoozed on 40 year old used e50 motor that most likely needs the

> same thing yours needs (a Rebuild)

True Roff, but that is still a good deal on an e50 considering I have seen most going for almost double that price. And nothing wrong with having a donor engine around.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account