Freewheel Stripped Threads On Rear Wheel Hub - Fixed

After installing a new freewheel on my 1979 Motobecane 50V, I was disappointed to pedal and have the whole damn thing spin on the hub. When I removed it, I could see most of the threads were gone. I used some JB Weld and hoped the last few threads would be enough. They listed about a week before the freewheel broke loose again.

So, I thought making my own woodruff key might pin the thing. I got the freewheel snug and marked the hub and the freewheel . Then I removed the freewheel and used a file to notch both the freewheel and hub.

I cut the head off a nail I thought was roughly the size of both notches combined, and hammered the nail on its sides until it was square. After test fitting in each notch, I whipped up some more jb weld for the threads, then spun the freewheel on snug until the notches lined up.

I drove my woodruff key in tight, cut off most of the excess leaving a little exposed in case it ever needs to come off, and ground the edges smooth.

So far so good.

7E61ADBA-A915-4D7E-AC51-5478D5A43658.jpeg
4F3A72B9-E164-436C-8B19-5A145E523EE6.jpeg
6CABABF5-6197-4B8F-A35F-39BA09EE0D03.jpeg

Re: Freewheel Stripped Threads On Rear Wheel Hub - Fixed

Nice, now how did u cut the grooves? file?

Thanks. Yes, I used a small hand file.

For future reference, a standard "ISO" freewheel doesn't work on french threaded hubs, it wont tighen. The iso thread is 1.375" x 24 tpi. the the french thread is 1.366" x 25.4 tpi.

Good info. I did research and ordered a French freewheel from Treatland, and it felt like it threaded on well, but obviously something was wrong.

Oh, sorry about that then.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account