Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

roots to wings /

I think you are headed in the wrong direction brother. very minor tweaks (like where you clip on the needle) can make a big change in how your bike runs and the guy above who reported about cold weather and choke makes alot of sense. 14mm carb, 14mm intake, 2.22 atomizer, 72 jet, single embossed needle, on the second clip and report. what is your gearing?

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,3727602

SUCCESS! I drilled my 24 slide as shown in the link above. I used the 24 since I had previously did the'slide mod and didn't want to molest my 51. I ended up with a .125" hole on just the air filter side and now the bike will idle and is responsive to the idle screw again. Couldn't road test it as it is raining here today.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

roots to wings /

awesome. hope it works. i tried a 51 slide with the buddy hole not too long ago and it was great for low end, but ate fuel like it was going out of style. only seemed to run right on full rich so clearly i had other stuff going on. tore it down now so will see what happens when we build back up. good luck.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

> roots to wings Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think you are headed in the wrong direction brother. very minor

> tweaks (like where you clip on the needle) can make a big change in how

> your bike runs and the guy above who reported about cold weather and

> choke makes alot ofense. 14mm carb, 14mm intake, 2.22 atomizer, 72

> jet, single embossed needle, on the second clip and report. what is

> your gearing?

I have run that EXACT combination and the bike runs good but does NOT idle.

Stock gearing, 16x45 I think. Kickstart springs in stock 2 shoe clutch.

If the drilled slide doesn't work out in the long run I'm only out one 24 slide. (edited)

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

I did the #25 and nothing so I just drilled a #24 and will try it when the sun comes back up in the morning. will update

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

HBP

What is the rest of your set-up you have at this point.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

Single ring needle in second grove from top, 222 atomizer, 71 jet. I will probably end up with a 72 jet.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

If drilling metal slides , solder the holes to restore them .

Plastic slides can be done with the same iron . ;)

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

You have kickstart springs in your stock setup? This could be part of your issue. How did you go about tuning your clutch? The wiki has a nice write up on how to balance and even the tension on the springs using a fish scale.

If your clutch springs are too tight it will be hard for the engine to get the RPMs needed to open them up properly. I'm still getting my 70cc setup tuned with the clutch. I have mine too tight and the clutch slips and never really grabs. Even at 40mph I'm still slipping. Clutch can make all the difference.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

Overpriced Parts /

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You have kickstart springs in your stock setup? This could be part of

> your issue. How did you go about tuning your clutch? The wiki has a

> nice write up on how to balance and even the tension on the springs

> using a fish scale.

>

> If your clutch springs are too tight it will be hard for the engine to

> get the RPMs needed to open them up properly. I'm still getting my 70cc

> setup tuned with the clutch. I have mine too tight and the clutch slips

> and never really grabs. Even at 40mph I'm still slipping. Clutch can

> make all the difference.

Slipping at 40mph sounds almost impossible with stock Asbestos clutch shoes, you must have aftermarket Junk, lightened or modded shoes, weigh 300 pounds or you have too high of gearing

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

I have KS springs, stock weight clutch shoes and my clutch locks up at about 20 mph, right where the power comes on.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jay Rivett Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You have kickstart springs in your stock setup? This could be part of

>

> > your issue. How did you go about tuning your clutch? The wiki has a

>

> > nice write up on how to balance and even the tension on the springs

>

> > using a fish scale.

>

> >

>

> > If your clutch springs are too tight it will be hard for the engine to

>

> > get the RPMs needed to open them up properly. I'm still getting my

> 70cc

>

> > setup tuned with the clutch. I have mine too tight and the clutch

> slips

>

> > and never really grabs. Even at 40mph I'm still slipping. Clutch can

>

> > make all the difference.

>

> Slipping at 40mph sounds almost impossible with stock Asbestos clutch

> shoes, you must have aftermarket Junk, lightened or modded shoes, weigh

> 300 pounds or you have too high of gearing

I am heavy. I do have tall gearing, 17/35. And I have some ESB springs. All I know is that on my test run yesterday I never felt the clutch fully grab. I'm gonna get it set. Thanks ken.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

Got a short opportunity to ride the bike after drilling the slide. It ran good but once it heats up the idle still drops really low but never stalled. I came back and drilled a .100" hole through the intake side of the slide. Idle speed increased again but I have yet to road test it. We shall see.

A friend asked what premix oil I was using. I said YamaLube. He said he stopped using in any of his premix engine (weed eater, etc) because they became hard to start and mentioned that it is an oil injection oil, not a premix oil. I was using the YamaLube in my TY250 and had some left over.

I am going to switch oils and see what happens. (edited)

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

roots to wings /

Watch Travis tutorial on tuning your clutch /changing your clutch springs. Think about what is happening to your clutch. The stock springs are installed with the screws pretty close to flush. Now you have xtra stiff screws turned in 2.5x to make them even stiffer. I wonder if you could even get your wheel to spin on a kickstand using the idle screw. I’d pop your old springs in if you have them and I’d build a habit of making an exact premix with really good oil. If yiu ever kit your bike and are sloppy with your oil like I was it can mess up your kit.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

2t oil is 2t oil. But there are definitely better quality oils than the ones they sell at the hardware stores for lawn equip. The ratio is all that matters. Everyone runs something different. I end up running 40:1 with any oil I use.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

I'm at 50:1 using my Ratio-Rite. Seems to me stiffer clutch springs make it less likely to engage the wheel at idle which would then not effect idle speed.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

Pure speculation here but, maybe a premix oil has fuel stabilizers and additives that an oil injection 2T oil wouldn’t have?

I have no experience with the injection system oil. Just a thought.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

Well, I think it's worth a try. The fuel have mixed is pretty old anyway.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

My Simplex ran fine on 2 year old premix .

That premix had the same oil I use in my FA50 injection system .

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

Bunch of work and still not right. I think I'll drop the engine and replace the seals since the owner want a kit put on it. well it has everything it will need for a great runner so what the hell why not.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You sure it isn't the safety override due to wiring fuckery horniness cracked resist9r or brick?

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You sure it isn't the safety override due to wiring fuckery horniness

> cracked resist9r or brick?

WTF?

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Bunch of work and still not right. I think I'll drop the engine and

> replace the seals since the owner want a kit put on it. well it has

> everything it will need for a great runner so what the hell why not.

^^^just imagine hiring a moped mechanic thats on MA trying to learn how to tune and kits before tuning the stocker and is cocky about it taking the customers money to the bank, sad.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jeff Parr Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Bunch of work and still not right. I think I'll drop the engine and

>

> > replace the seals since the owner want a kit put on it. well it has

>

> > everything it will need for a great runner so what the hell why not.

>

> ^^^just imagine hiring a moped mechanic thats on MA trying to learn how

> to tune and kits before tuning the stocker and is cocky about it taking

> the customers money to the bank, sad.

I've been around long enough to know that even the most experienced mechanics and engineers sometimes encounter issues that leave them scratching their heads.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jeff Parr Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Bunch of work and still not right. I think I'll drop the engine and

>

> > replace the seals since the owner want a kit put on it. well it has

>

> > everything it will need for a great runner so what the hell why not.

>

> ^^^just imagine hiring a moped mechanic thats on MA trying to learn how

> to tune and kits before tuning the stocker and is cocky about it taking

> the customers money to the bank, sad.

What money asshole. I was a journeyman mechanic for many years ass hole. it's this one that's got ass hole.I'm sure you've never ever had one engine that runs you in circle, ass hole.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

Overpriced Parts /

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Overpriced Parts Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Jay Rivett Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > You have kickstart springs in your stock setup? This could be part

> of

>

> >

>

> > > your issue. How did you go about tuning your clutch? The wiki has

> a

>

> >

>

> > > nice write up on how to balance and even the tension on the springs

>

> >

>

> > > using a fish scale.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > If your clutch springs are too tight it will be hard for the engine

> to

>

> >

>

> > > get the RPMs needed to open them up properly. I'm still getting my

>

> > 70cc

>

> >

>

> > > setup tuned with the clutch. I have mine too tight and the clutch

>

> > slips

>

> >

>

> > > and never really grabs. Even at 40mph I'm still slipping. Clutch

> can

>

> >

>

> > > make all the difference.

>

> >

>

> > Slipping at 40mph sounds almost impossible with stock Asbestos clutch

>

> > shoes, you must have aftermarket Junk, lightened or modded shoes,

> weigh

>

> > 300 pounds or you have too high of gearing

>

> I am heavy. I do have tall gearing, 17/35. And I have some ESB springs.

> All I know is that on my test run yesterday I never felt the clutch

> fully grab. I'm gonna get it set. Thanks ken.

No wonder you slip That gearing is way too high for a e50 even kitted, try 17x40 or even 16x40

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Idk good luck...

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

Yeah ken, I have been considering getting a 40t for the rear. Or maybe I will throw on a smaller front like a 13 to even things out. And I'm still going to pull the clutch out once more to lighten and even them up better.

Re: Same problem as Jeff Parr below, E50, very weak accelleration.

Good thing I split the case. Someone was already in it before and did a really bad job on it. none of the seals were installed right and one is backwards, three of the case bolts were loose and they used gorilla snot sealant when they put it back together. It's been hot and someone used a hard epoxy like something on the head studs.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account