e50 leak

jason anderson /

replaced crank seals put it back together and now it leaks where the carb connects to manifold also tried new manifold . Tried the rubber washer. aluminum can even broke the clamp on a bing carb, still leaks. WHY does anyone have any help for me thanks ....

Re: e50 leak

Can you post up a pic? Are you saying the carb clamp is broken?

Clamp carbs can leak at the clamp point. You can try getting the carb on as best as possible and use a little RTV liqud gasket maker to help seal it up. Sometimes it works but you have to be patient and wait an hour after you put it on to cure or you will just blow thru it again.

I always use a fresh o-ring. Put the carb on a block of wood and press the manifold in with my body weight while tightening the clamp.

That good squashy rubber (the fuel resistant ones) makes a great seal and I never undo that connection. I always pull the manifold to swap jets er whatever.

Richard Eberline /

intake manifold's base is warped. use a oring to carb inlet, the clamp is not a SEAL.

jason anderson /

not leaking at base, base is not warped o-ring fresh, sqeezed on with a mini clamp tightened.I broke 1 clamp. then i tried 2 new carbs no luck. still leaking. no clamp is not broken.

Well, it could be a fractured casting (exotic and not likely) or it’s leaking somewhere else.

Do bings have issues if the top gasket is missing? I can’t remember.

How are you identifying this leak? Using a spray hydrocarbon like carb cleaner?

How are you diagnosing the leak? Carb cleaner? Leakdown test?

jason anderson /

yes carb cleaner, i will check head gasket, With it missing would it cause the leak? the bike will run on choke. I forgot i did replace the muffler. i can send pics.

If it runs with the choke on then you have a vacuum leak. do the o-ring trick

jason anderson /

i tried the Oring thing 5 times even used a mini speed clamp to hold it tight while i clamped NO LUCK ( i have gotten other mopeds going but im bout to give up on this one.) what bout the head gasket its a puch newport . LOL

roots to wings /

Something doesnt smell right if you tried both new carbs and intakes. I've had a little luck using two screwdrivers to get the carb on squarely. One to hold the carb on the intake and one to turn the clamp screw, even when I use the o-ring. Those clamp screws can strip, especially on clones. Also, the carb spray can get sucked into the intake or you may not be tight at the top of the carb. It should be pretty clear where the leak is using the carb spray. A head leak would not hide close to an intake leak, but a base gasket leak could.

Bet your using a way too small o-ring. I use a 20mm OD 16mm ID 2mm Width.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account