QT50 no go but starts and runs

Fallen Amish ~Yoder~ /

Just picked up a qt50 and the ignition switch was dug out so I took a screwdriver and turned it as best as I could. Now it starts and runs but will not go. Also, I removed the ES control box. This bike has no air box either. Oh, and the wheel does spin when not under load. If I sit on it no go

What now?

Re: QT50 no go but starts and runs

Jack Rutherford /

is it getting enough fuel?

Depending on what year.you might have the key in start.mode and need to turn one more click after it starts

Fallen Amish ~Yoder~ /

It’s in run mode

Fallen Amish ~Yoder~ /

I’m assuming so because it will sit and idle perfectly.

That's "start" mode, one more click to run, it's some safety thing...unless it is a '79-80, then they just had off and run as nature intended. :)

Did you try it with the ES Control box re-installed?? Air box not relevant. It will just be loud and have a little more power.

Fallen Amish ~Yoder~ /

Yes I did that too

Fallen Amish ~Yoder~ /

I took the whole ignition switch off and it runs like that. How is that? It still won’t go.

Okay I’m about to just cut wires and twist them together. What color wires will put this thing in “run” position?

Drop the exhaust would be my next suggestion if you're sure it isn't something with the switch and being in start mode.....watch just random cutting wires and twisting together ,cdi's can be hard to find sometimes..there is a diagram in tge wiki and probably info.on hot wiring it.try searching there (edited)

Fallen Amish ~Yoder~ /

Okay so you’re saying my exhaust is possibly clogged?

Jack Rutherford /

If you remove the control box then it shouldn't be limited to start mode anymore. I'm still betting fuel delivery issue or poor spark. What's the compression test out at? I would think you could get a good read on the exhaust cloggation just by looking at what's coming out the back at idle or when revved.

Fallen Amish ~Yoder~ /

I got to ride it but it only goes 5 miles an hour.

It has no air box at all. Could that cause it?

Also my throttle cable is broken so I have the manually pull the cable to open the throttle.

Pretty sure I have the carb adjustment correct but maybe it needs set differently because of no air box?

Are you saying that when the bike is up on the centerstand you CAN rev up the motor REAL HIGH and the rear wheel spins real fast, but, when off the stand with the wheel on the ground there is no power?

Fallen Amish ~Yoder~ /

Yes

would it be the clutch slipping? anything smell burnt, I think it is the start run issue at least if it is a 78

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account