Help with wiring 1976 Puch Maxi 5 wire

I have a 1976 5 wire Puch Maxi that I am planning to rewire. I have seen the stock wiring diagrams but would like to do a horn delete, light switch delete and kill switch. I did similar wiring on a 6 wire puch but see that the ground wires go through multiple circuits before grounding. Were they smoking crack in '76? Is there an easy way to simplify the wiring on these 5 wire setups? Thanks

Re: Help with wiring 1976 Puch Maxi 5 wire

Can you just put a later 6 wire stator on it? I've bought an extra to keep on my shelf, they're usually pretty cheap.

Yellow for lights. Black for ignition

Ground the rest. You could also run the green to your tail light still to split that up.

Yeah, this is easy. I found this diagram most helpful in figuring out what coil powers which circuit and then simplifying it:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/w/images/1/1a/1977_Puch_Maxi_Wiring_Diagram.pdf

Headlight circuit — coil sends a yellow wire to terminal block. From there, run another yellow wire directly to headlight, bypassing the switch.

Horn circuit — coil sends a blue and black wire to terminal block. From there, ground it.

Thanks all, it is a little different than other Puchs as it is a 5 and not a 6 wire system. 2nd diagram from this link shows it the best:

https://vintagemopeds.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/1976-puch-maxi-5-wire-bosch-magneto.pdf

The way I read this is as follows:

Blue to ignition then ground

Green to terminal then split to blue/green. one goes to brake switch then ground. other goes to brake light.

Yellow to headlight and ground, always on. there are two hot wires and two ground. I plan to combine those two as I will have only one hot and one ground wire now. (bypass horn and speedo light)

Grey to taillight and ground.

Green/black is ground wire for brake lights

The jacked up think on this wiring is that the stock wiring has the yellow wire powering not only the horn and speedo light but also the main light. If I mess this up, I guess I could just ground yellow and have no headlight. I could still wire tail light and brake light.

Does that make sense? I'll give it a go and let you know. Please write back if I have screwed this up. Thanks.

Yes sorry I meant blue not black.

Yellow to lights, blue to ignition. Groud all the rest but you can use the green for your tail light.

Overpriced Parts /

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yes sorry I meant blue not black.

>

> Yellow to lights, blue to ignition. Groud all the rest but you can use

> the green for your tail light.

I don’t know where you live but where I live we need a working brake light as well as taillight and it needs to be very bright.

A few years ago I came to a stop at a zebra pedestrian crossing to let joggers cross and I heard a screech behind me, I was almost rear ended, I knew right then my brake light was probably burned out, when I got home, yup it was burned out!

And on group rides people that didn’t have brake lights only a taillight I’ve seen mild rear collisions and once I had to go into a chuck hole to avoid a collision from someone who did a brake check and didn’t have a brake light and it damaged my bike rim and fork

Many don’t realize that mopeds are motor vehicles and they should have all lights to be safe not just one red painted LED bulb hanging off a chopped fender and having turn signals too helps these distracted motorists see nowadays who barely have 1/2 of an eye on the road, they need as many flashing lights in front of them to react.

3EC39F4A-E145-429E-A039-D81A3C0AB4ED.jpeg
91DB74E4-1E13-49F7-AF04-F9B7F9ED94D1.jpeg
image.jpg

I live in a small town where there’s not much traffic but I agree that I should have the safety of lights, brake lights, as well as headlight for myself and others. I just tested the stater by grounding everything but ignition and have a very good spark. I’ve already clean the points and set the timing so I’m going to try to wire it. I’ll let you know how it goes. (edited)

Hand signals is all that are required in most states on a moped. I dont disagree with the added safety of a functional and bright brake light. Just is another thing to go wrong on a bike and if you assume it hasn't burnt out then you are asking for trouble too, as your story illustrates. Sometimes a burnt out brake light will even prevent the bike from running.

Mopeds are dangerous no matter how you shake it. Ride safe, be alert.

Check the moped wiki for an exact wiring diagram for your bike.

This will work for a five-wire stator, which is just a six-wire stator with the ignition internally grounded. It doesn't match up with the diagram but it will work and allow you to remove horn and headlight switch:

Headlight - Yellow wire from coil to terminal block to headlight, ground to forks

Tail light - Gray wire from coil to block to tail light, ground to frame

Brake light - Green wire from coil to terminal block, split into two wires. Each wire goes to one pole of each brake light switch. From the other pole of each switch, send another wire down to the terminal block and either splice them together or stick them in the same slot. From the corresponding slot, send a wire to the brake light, ground to frame.

Brake light ground - Green/brown wire to terminal block to ground to frame

Ignition - Blue wire from coil to points to condenser to terminal block to HT coil, ground to engine

Kill switch - One wire to ground, one wire to ignition slot on terminal block

Chinatown is a freaking genius! That worked and all is wired. My mistake was to ground the brake switch. Once I connected that wire to the blue/green going to the brake light it worked like magic. So basically the grey wire powers the running light in the back and the green wire powers the brake light. I’ll draw up that diagram and stick it on here for future reference. Thanks again!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account