Coil Pack in frame Import 1980 Puch Maxi

You folks have helped me a lot already and it much appreciated. I have not checked the coil yet. Normally on the Maxi's that I've owned the pack is right next to the carb on the drivers right hand side. This coil pack is up in the frame. Any thoughts? If you look to the right hand side of the photo you will see its a Bosch wire. Also its a Bosch plug. I'm confident this is stock. Was thinking of installing a fresh coil but in this case looks like you have to drop the engine. Any ideas?

Rob

importpuchcoil.JPG

Re: Coil Pack in frame Import 1980 Puch Maxi

Are you sure it’s not integrated into the stator?

It very well could be. It looked like the wire runs into the frame. Your right it takes a turn downward now that I looked closer. I'll take a better look tomorrow.

Regards,

Rob (edited)

Also Boyd, Is that something you have seen before?

Regards,

Rob

Looks like this:

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-E50-stator-plate-magneto-points-p/puch-e50-stator-magneto.htm

Some later models in Europe had them, not sure about US

Thanks it is a 1980 Euro Import for sure. I'll take a look, what you said makes total sense. Thanks.

Regards,

Rob

I believe the wiki has a wiring diagram for these as well. The HT coils on these have been known to go out due to over heating with being inside the flywheel and covered. If you are feeling crafty you can get a 5 or 6 wire setup and a new exterior HT coil. Would cost a bit but makes the system easier to work on and less prone to failure.

A super cheap possibly temporary solution if it fails would be to replace with Stihl 070 stator or parts from it. I wouldn’t expect it to last a life time but it’ll work for a while in a pinch. They’re very similar to the old style stator with the internal HT coil and can be found at 5-15$ on Amazon/eBay for a complete stator, some have a black plastic dust cover. No light coil but those don’t regularly fail and you can just swap yours onto it.

1FADAF98-43A0-4271-81AC-F7B7107A0364.jpeg
14AA9903-F3B0-4711-87CB-2DC6EB4D7D92.jpeg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account