Removing Nut From Front Axle - Hobbit

I recently added front and back fenders to my hobbit, and when I put the front on on i noticed my front tire was ever so slightly off center. No worries, figured I'd just re adjust all of the nuts / speedo drive, etc.

Problem comes in, I cant get the nut just to the outside of the speedo drive off. Ive tried to double nut the castle nuts on the other side. Ive had the whole assembly (speedo drive, axle, troublesome nut) soaking in liquid wrench for the past two days, but i just cant get it to budge.

Any recommendations or tricks of the trade I should know about? I currently have the entire axle removed, would it be easier to try this on the bike? Thanks for the help

Re: Removing Nut From Front Axle - Hobbit

Heat it up with a propane torch, double nut the other side AND use an electric impact. If it doesn't come off then it's not gonna move

Do you think the electric torch would damage anything in the speedo drive? Obviously, if that's the only option it is what it is, but just wondering.

> Rob Johnson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Do you think the electric torch would damage anything in the speedo

> drive? Obviously, if that's the only option it is what it is, but just

> wondering.

I guess it's been a minute since I've disassembled a front hobbit wheel but can't you just remove the nuts from the opposite side of the axle and remove the whole axle and work with it in a vise or something?

I can - the issue is the speedo drive is stuck between the seized nut, and the nuts in behind it that I cant get to. If i have to sacrifice the speedo so be it, but thats the only reason I havent done it yet

> Rob Johnson Wrote:

> I can - the issue is the speedo drive is stuck between the seized nut,

> and the nuts in behind it that I cant get to. If i have to sacrifice the

> speedo so be it, but thats the only reason I havent done it yet

Duh that makes sense, my bad. Try heat as a last resort then. Before you try heat double nut the other side, clamp in a vise on the nut, use a ratchet/wrench with a long ass pole on the end for leverage. When I was 15 I duct taped a 2x4 that was 8 feet long to a crescent wrench to break something loose on my XT250. It worked when literally nothing else I tried (including air impact/heat/pb blaster etc) did.

if the axle is all apart cant you just grip the the axle in a vise and go to town.

My vice doesn't like holding axels. I had the same issue with one of these nuts recently. Just fused on. What I was trying to do with the axel was not important enough for me to keep messing with it and lack of a torch meant I ran out of options quick.

What do you use in your vice to hold a cylinder opject?

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> My vice doesn't like holding axels. I had the same issue with one of

> these nuts recently. Just fused on. What I was trying to do with the

> axel was not important enough for me to keep messing with it and lack of

> a torch meant I ran out of options quick.

>

> What do you use in your vice to hold a cylinder opject?

Double nut the other end and hold the nuts in the vise, not the axle itself

So finally got this off this weekend, and reporting back in case anyone else runs into the same issues.

Unfortunately, I dont have a legitimate workshop with a bench and a vice so I had to tackle this without one.

I put the axle back on the wheel and then used both of the castle nuts to double nut the other side. I was then able to hold the axle from the inner-most castle nut with a wrench, and hit the stubborn bolt with an impact. After hitting it with the impact 2-3 times it didn't budge, but when I went back to trying the wrench afterwards it came right off.

Thanks for all the help guys.

> Rob Johnson Wrote:

> So finally got this off this weekend, and reporting back in case anyone

> else runs into the same issues.

>

> Unfortunately, I dont have a legitimate workshop with a bench and a vice

> so I had to tackle this without one.

>

> I put the axle back on the wheel and then used both of the castle nuts

> to double nut the other side. I was then able to hold the axle from the

> inner-most castle nut with a wrench, and hit the stubborn bolt with an

> impact. After hitting it with the impact 2-3 times it didn't budge, but

> when I went back to trying the wrench afterwards it came right off.

>

> Thanks for all the help guys.

Yeah that works too. Glad you got it off

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account