1988 Yamaha DT50 side cover removal and clutch rod adjustment

I had a 1990 Yamaha DT50 engine completely Remanufactured by a Yamaha 50cc expert In California $$$$! After months of waiting I receive the DT50 engine. After install I discovered the clutch isn’t releasing and I can’t adjust clutch with clutch cable. The clutch rod adjustment isn’t correct. The 50cc expert isn’t being any help and not wanting to admit to not installing clutch correctly. I never had the side cover off a DT50 engine before! I know there’s several mopedarmy members who own a DT50 and wonder if someone would share some information about removing the side cover to adjust clutch rod out to release clutch. I know how to adjust the clutch rod, wondering about removing side cover, if I have to remove oil injection pump, or can leave oil injection pump when removing cover? Can any off some thoughts.

Re: 1988 Yamaha DT50 side cover removal and clutch rod adjustment

Is the clutch lever on the same side as the clutch?

Yes the clutch lever is on the Clutch side. The DT50 is in very good condition for age, 920 miles. I ridden DT50 about 90 miles. I found the 1990 DT50 engine for sell on eBay, made a $189.95 offer and seller accepted my offer and shipped to the 50cc expert for complete rebuild. The expert, wouldn’t bore cylinder and use a new OEM Yamaha oversized piston I had in stock, had to use standard size OEM piston, expert no longer has a employee who can do head work, expert would install new crank shaft bearing and balance crank shaft, said it was ok. Took months waiting on OEM Yamaha parts I could had from Japan in a weeks time. I was the customer, but wasn’t able to have the DT50 engine built the way I wanted with the 50cc Yamaha expert. I was double charged on a part and over charged with shipping! I spent extra money for a heavy duty clutch kit! The 50cc Yamaha expert does good work, they need a employee who can do head work, they need to edit their invoice for errors, they need too listen to the customer, most importantly admit when making a mistake. I’m waiting on new OEM Yamaha clutch rods, ball, nuts and washers, every push rod part. I won’t know what I need to do too repair clutch issue, I’m replacing all the push rod parts with new OEM. I think it’s the adjustment or ball is missing! You would think a 50cc Yamaha expert who has been building the DT50 engines for 30+ years would know to check the push rod adjustment during new clutch install. The 50cc Yamaha expert doesn’t want too admit to making a mistake installing the clutch. The 50cc Yamaha expert stocks and sells a clutch rod kit. The amount of time required to return engine to California for repair and return shipping time, plus the stress of the engine out there again so long, isn’t acceptable for me, plus cost if I had to pay shipping. I have too do the repair myself. The 50cc Yamaha expert cost me a lot of time and I feel like for the money I spent I’m not getting the great engine I thought I would receive! Get the engine installed and the clutch won’t release and can’t adjust out with clutch cable! The bottom line is the 50cc Yamaha expert, doesn’t realize I been working on Yamaha engines longer than they have, I’m not dumb as they believe me to be. The clutch issue should been caught during engine rebuild and never been shipped with the clutch issue. They wasted no time billing my credit card upon receiving the DT50 engine. I checked invoice they didn’t install new push rod kit they sell. I sent the DT50 engine to have it completely Remanufactured to race spec and them showcase what the could do with a 50cc Yamaha engine. Wasn’t able to have the built the way I wanted at all and ended up with a stock bore engine and clutch issue! I’m really disappointed in what I received and the way they acted after I reported the clutch issue. I should just let the port cylinder and done engine myself and saved a lot of time and money. I’m waiting again because of their irresponsible work. I’m open to any suggestions you may have? I live out in the country, in Cherrokee county, Ball Ground. There’s a lot of good roads around here to ride. I ride the DT50 and I have a 1995 Honda NSR50 I ride a few times a year. The NSR50 is a display bike mostly. Highly modified with customer manufactured race parts from Japan. Thank you for your reply. I’m open to any and all suggestions you may have! Thank You!

Way too much to read with the run on sentences, the "expert" didn't know what the fuck he was doing and you should charge back some of the money you spent. You got scammed by this dude, stop calling him an expert, he's a scrub.

Team Calamari Racing did the DT50 engine

> Gary Hamil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Team Calamari Racing did the DT50 engine

Don't they do YSR motors? Those are very different motors. At any rate if you paid them and your shit doesn't work I would make a fuss about it on the YSR facebook pages or charge back their service. You paid them to get a motor built and it doesn't work, correct?

I spent $1,039.60 for the engine rebuild, $167.50 on a aftermarket Reed Valve Block they installed on DT50 engine. I bought a lot of parts from them over the years. Had a NSR50 cylinder ported and bought parts for the NSR50 from them. First engine they rebuild for me and there’s a clutch issue. The cost of shipping and time it would take, isn’t acceptable for me. I have to make the repair myself. You with 1977 moped.com? I bought parts from 1977 moped.com before, and look at parts there all the time!

> Gary Hamil Wrote:

> I spent $1,039.60 for the engine rebuild, $167.50 on a aftermarket Reed

> Valve Block they installed on DT50 engine. I bought a lot of parts from

> them over the years. Had a NSR50 cylinder ported and bought parts for

> the NSR50 from them. First engine they rebuild for me and there’s a

> clutch issue. The cost of shipping and time it would take, isn’t

> acceptable for me. I have to make the repair myself. You with 1977

> moped.com? I bought parts from 1977 moped.com before, and look at parts

> there all the time!

Jesus Christ, for $1300 you could have just bought 3 or 4 more DT50s instead...

And I'm not sure what you're talking about, I have no affiliation with 77 and I don't shop there. I think they just dropship everything from treatland.tv now anyways. (edited)

I’m sorry I thought you were a member who replied and had a 1977 moped.com email listed. I plan on riding the DT50 a lot this year and do the 50cc motorcycle race in Suches Georgia. I’m wanted a race spec engine too install carburetor and pipe on. The amount the rebuild cost wasn’t an issue for me. I thought I would get a fantastic engine. End up with a engine the clutch won’t release.

> Gary Hamil Wrote:

> I’m sorry I thought you were a member who replied and had a 1977

> moped.com email listed. I plan on riding the DT50 a lot this year and do

> the 50cc motorcycle race in Suches Georgia. I’m wanted a race spec

> engine too install carburetor and pipe on. The amount the rebuild cost

> wasn’t an issue for me. I thought I would get a fantastic engine. End up

> with a engine the clutch won’t release.

Exactly why I'm saying you got ripped off and need to deal with Calamari or your credit card company or whatever over this. It's an obscene amount of money spent on a stock top end motor that is probably not much, if at all faster than my DT50 that I have like $500 in.

Their labor cost is competitive doing machine shop work, boring, porting etc. the price added up from price of OEM parts, I could have purchased at a lower price myself. Plus I wouldn’t had the waiting time to receive OEM parts. At one time they may been great, now they’re work is questionable. I only started using them because the old guys in Ohio I used are no longer in business, one of the guys died. Now days you can’t get good service from anyone!

Don't want to get messed around by another supplier? Don't use 1977, do a search and you'll see their history. You might have to just put your experience down to a lesson learned and move on, you'll certainly save money.

Haven’t started clutch repair yet. I bought new clutch rods, ball bearing, nuts and washers, gaskets. I want to replace all the clutch rod parts with new OEM Yamaha.

Still waiting on a couple of parts to arrive. Once I remove the side cover I want to have every part I may need on hand. I’m going to post pictures of clutch problem. And show the expert at Team Calamari Racing what they did wrong installing the new clutch during complete rebuild of DT50 engine. Maybe then these 50cc Yamaha experts will knowledge their mechanic made a mistake installing the clutch! Be man enough to admit too making an mistake building a customer engine. Team Calamari Racing aren’t willing to accept responsibility, have the attitude they don’t make mistakes building engines, they build fast reliable engines. I want too know where the reliability

is with my DT50 engine? There wasn’t any reliability at all with the clutch not releasing correctly. Tell me the Team Calamari Racing mechanic doesn’t know how to install a clutch properly, at the customer’s expense and time. He have had some warm days in 70s. I can’t get out and enjoy the warm riding days. I’m waiting on parts to fix a new completely Remanufactured engine shipped with a clutch issue! When I move the clutch lever on engine where clutch cable attaches I can hear clutch rod making contact with clutch plate, but the contact is when the clutch lever stop touches engine case. That’s how much the clutch rod is out of adjustment my Team Calamari Racing mechanic. Maybe next week I can get clutch working and start new engine and begin engine brake in.

You sound terrible to work with. I don't think $1300 is a crazy amount of money for a dirt bike engine rebuild.

There are like 3 parts to the release mech, I don't remember if it has a ball bearing but that would be my first guess, they are super easy to lose, I've done it once myself.

Also it might be releasing and the pads are just stuck from sitting. Until they break in and burnish a little bit, they will stick whenever you let it sit for a while.

I’m not terrible to too work with, at all, $1300.00 was under budget. Most of the money was OEM Yamaha parts. I wanted a lot more machine shop work done to DT50 engine and planed on spending a lot more than $1300.00. They had a opportunity for a blank check engine build. All I heard from them is what they couldn’t do or wouldn’t do. I couldn’t get the engine rebuilt like I requested, they did my engine how they wanted to build it. I never said the cost of rebuild was too expensive, and I never had any doubts about their experience building Yamaha engines. I’m more disappointed than anything else. Their reputation is in question here not my being terrible to work with. I’m the one taken advantage of and left with a clutch issue to deal with. How would you fell if it was your engine?

I realize it could be a simple adjustment, missing ball or worn parts. If there’s a lot of threads it most likely the adjustment, if there’s little or no threads missing ball or really worn parts. They didn’t install new clutch push rods and ball. When I move the lever the clutch cable attaches to by hand I can hear clutch push rod make contact with clutch plate. With clutch cable adjustment out completely the clutch is just trying to release. I can tell by pushing bike in gear working clutch handlebar lever.

I don’t have any type of repair book on the DT50, I got on here asking about removing the side cover, wondering if I could remove cover without removing the oil injection pump, wanting some information about removing the cover to speed up removal.

I’m just searching for information. I have purchased all OEM clutch push rods ball nuts washer lock nuts and gaskets. Have received everything but side cover gasket, still waiting on it. I want everything in hand upon removal of side cover. Will post pictures of clutch issue once I finally discover the problem. I’m also thinking ball is missing. Thank you

I heard great things about calamari (full disclosure they're local to me)

But check this out $20 for the manual and a quick read will answer your questions

http://www.servicerepairmanualonline.com/3693/yamaha-dt50-dt-50-manual/

The DT50 engine build wasn’t the first time I have used Team Calamari Racing or bought parts from them. They ported a new Honda NSR50 cylinder from HRC I sent them. I was very impressed with the porting and amount of metal removed for the price of porting. Very clean work! I bought, clutch kit, 24m flat slide carburetor, hot wire and other parts from them. Spent a lot of time talking to the 55 year old girl on the phone over the years. I already knew all about Team Calamari Racing and what they could and couldn’t do. I accepted their weakness in certain areas like cylinder head work. I figured with their porting experience and other buildings experience Team Calamari Racing could build the best foundation for me to build upon. I have no doubt the horsepower is there, even with a standard size piston and no head work.

I’m not going to stop using Team Calamari Racing because their mechanic wasn’t paying attention to what he was doing when he installed the new clutch. I have made mistakes myself. The difference between Team Calamari Racing and me, is I’m man enough too admit it when I have made a error putting something together, and make things right. I’m sure Team Calamari Racing would fix the problem their mechanic caused! But who will pay shipping from Atlanta Georgia to California and back, how long will that take? Then I have to deal with the stress of something happening to engine during shipping too and from Team Calamari Racing. I don’t want to take the risk. I rather do the repair myself. Then inform Team Calamari Racing what their mechanic did wrong. Let Team Calamari Racing make it up to me with discount on future porting work. The clutch issue should have been discovered during clutch install, what mechanic doesn’t check clutch rod for contact with clutch plate during install? I knew there was a problem as soon as I installed clutch cable and emailed Team Calamari Racing had the mechanic emailed me back. When I told about the clutch lever stop hitting engine case with cable adjusted out all the way and could tell the clutch was just starting to release some. And that with cable removed I could hear the clutch rod making contact with clutch plate just as lever stop touched engine case. The mechanic never replied back. All I got was the girl was off work for a few days, that they built reliable and fast engines, build each engine like it was their own engine. They would admit to making a mistake. They did build the engine like it was their on engine not mine. I couldn’t get them to build the engine the way I wanted it built. I ended up with a engine that has to be repaired at my expense before I can even crank the engine. Today I received a email the OEM Yamaha side cover gasket Is back order from Yamaha, ETA May 1. Now I have to get online and search for someone who has a gasket or gasket kit in stock I can receive sooner. All my waiting and extra expense is because of the mechanic at Team Calamari Racing not installing a new clutch correctly. A business is only as good as their last customer feedback. Someone who has the experience Team Calamari Racing has, shouldn’t of caught the clutch issue and never shipped a engine needing a clutch repair. That shows their mechanic’s mind isn’t on his work or not on clutch install. Thank You for the link for a repair book.

Just got off of eBay. Found a couple of sellers who had the DT50 side cover gasket in stock. I bought a gasket for $16.11 shipped. Seller one state over in Alabama. Should receive gasket pretty quickly. Stay tuned for side cover removal details and pictures of clutch issue.

Heads up to anyone looking at dt50 manuals. Almost all of them are for the air-cooled models which share some similarities but nearly enough to be helpful. You are best off looking for a dt80lc manual. The clutch adjustment procedure is very different between the AC and the LC models.

image.jpg

Finally received the last of OEM Yamaha DT50 clutch rod parts and gaskets today. I have every part on hand to replace all clutch rod parts with new OEM Yamaha parts.

Maybe I can start the repair tomorrow. That’s if the swelling in my right hand goes down. I had a fall yesterday and hurt my hand, it’s swelled up and hurts really bad.

Appreciate any final thought anyone has before I remove the DT50 side cover. I how to install clutch and adjust the push rod, I never removed a DT50 side cover before. I watched a couple of videos. One the cover was removed with oil injection pump installed, so I’m going to try that way, remove tech cable, pull cover lose back out of way. I think once I see the thread count out of lock nut I will understand what the problem really is. I’m believe the problem could be a simple adjustment, ball is missing or harden tip on push rod in missing from push rod making it shorter and not able to adjust out enough to adjust clutch with clutch cable. We will soon realize what the expert did wrong. I want to thank everyone who took interest in the clutch issue and offered advice. Maybe my issue will help others not too make the same mistake as the 50cc Yamaha expert. Thank You everyone.

My hand.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you for the manual. I looked at it some trying to learn if I need to remove oil injection pump before removing side cover. I’m trying too remove side cover now! But it isn’t coming off easy. I have all bolts removed. I’m not wanting any damage so I’m taking my time. I put a pry bar behind cover at oil injection pump are put small amount of pressure against frame and came apart just a little bit 1mm all. Still wondering if I have to remove the oil injection pump. Seems no one is able tell me about removing the side cover. I know what to do once I get the cover off. It may just pull on off but I’m not sure. I’m being very careful. May end up have to remove oil injection pump to be safe before trying too pry off side cover.

Bottom of page 4-7 of that^ manual mentions nothing about removing the pump before removing the right case cover .

Maybe read that a second .

I got the cover broke loose all the way around, but still stuck at pin behind oil cap. Have to work to get that area broken loose. Then cover should pull off. Had to stop my hand is still swelled up and hurting. Now I’m thinking about just removing the engine from bike, remove cover, repair clutch and replace engine. It may be faster for me doing the clutch repair that way. I don’t want any damage. At my age it’s harder for me to do mechanic work, I’m slow have limited access to tools.

I paid Team Calamari Racing to completely Remanufactured the DT50 engine and their mechanic doesn’t know how to install a clutch correctly. They were no help at all. Only received denial of being responsible. All I heard was we build fast reliable engines. I received my engine with a clutch that won’t release and can’t be adjusted correctly for clutch too release correctly. So much for them being a expert with 30 years of experience. Experts shouldn’t make mistakes like they did.

I appreciate all the help everyone has been willing to offer during my struggle with the clutch issue. I can’t wait to learn what the problem is. I think the ball is missing or clutch push rod isn’t adjusted out enough. I’m going to install all new OEM Yamaha parts. Maybe tomorrow I will learn what’s causing the clutch issue. Stay tuned everyone.

I thought you had to remove the oil pump as one of the bolts goes all the way into the cover too. But I could be wrong too been a while

image.jpg

One of the cover bolts in inside oil injection pump cavity on back service. I have the bolt removed. I have it broken loose back to the pin behind oil cap. The gasket is sealed good, it’s still stuck together a pin. It’s right at rear motor mount bolt.

This is where I’m at with removing side cover. I had to remove engine. I believe I can get side cover removed now and expose the clutch issue Team Calamari Racing mechanic left me with.

image.jpg
image.jpg

It's kind of funny seeing that big ass reedblock and carb on a stock cylinder. Tell me you're not planning on running a stock exhaust

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account