Re: 1988 Yamaha DT50 side cover removal and clutch rod adjustment

Here’s want everyone has waited too see. There’s a lot of threads exposed on clutch rod. Moving the lever clutch cable attaches too, doesn’t make contact with clutch plate. Going to remove clutch springs and clutch plate, see if ball is installed and look at clutch push rods. Then install new OEM parts.

image.jpg

I had a pipe made in Japan for the DT50. Check out my profile picture. I ask about a horsepower rating on engine. The girl said with the Reed Valve Block, carburetor and exhaust pipe 11.3 horsepower. They told me the Reed Valve Block is a racing Reed Valve Block for YSR50 engines. They had to do milling on cylinder opening for Reed Valve Block to fit. The carburetor is 20mm. I went with the 20mm because of standard bore piston. I have extra flat slide 24mm carburetor and intake I could have used. I have a 24mm flat slide carburetor on my NSR50.

image.jpg

Both clutch push rods are installed with ball.

I have new OEM Yamaha clutch push rods ball and nuts installed. Going too fallow the manual for adjustment of clutch push rods.

image.jpg

I got the new OEM clutch push rods ball and nuts installed and adjusted. I fallowed the manual for correctly adjusting clutch push rods. This the amount of threads I had once I tightened lock nut. Lot of difference between my adjustment using manual and the expert. I can hear and feel contact with with small movement of lever and have free play.

image.jpg

Got side cover reinstalled.

image.jpg

Engine installed in bike connecting everything back up now. I’m pretty fast for a old man when I know what I’m doing. Got the clutch cable adjusted and clutch releasing now. Like adding water and oil. Installing gas tank, seat, side covers, exhaust pipe, gear shifter, installing a new rubber piece on gear shifter.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I hate to admit it, but still could adjust cable out where the clutch released completely in first gear pushing bike. I adjusted the cable out completely and clutch still wasn’t releasing completely pushing bike in first gear. I had clutch cable adjusted in all the way. I removed the side cover again. This time with engine installed. I started over fallowing the manual. I think now it may be correct. Was easier with engine installed and clutch cable attached. I spent more time fallowing manual and adjustment of clutch rod. It’s releasing much better now than how it was. If there’s still a problem I don’t know what to do next. Anyway the clutch is releasing better now and I haven’t adjusted the cable out yet. I’m thinking with engine running the clutch will release better. I can see how much the clutch plate is moving. I’m thinking if the engine is running the clutch would release better.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I finally got the side cover reinstalled. Clutch is releasing much better with handlebar lever. I adjusted cable out a little bit. I will try to fine tune cable adjustment once I get engine started. I have to install exhaust pipe. Add fluids. I feel a lot better this time with how the clutch is releasing. I want to thank the member who gave me the link to the correct manual. Thank You very, you very thoughtful and a life saver. Sure made the repair easier for me. Thank You!

image.jpg

Got exhaust pipe reinstalled. Hung the pipe in a different way. Had to make a little bracket. The clutch seems to be releasing correctly now with handlebar lever. Have too add fluids, wasted fluids having to remove side cover twice. Have to buy all the fluids today. This has been a learning experience for me. I do appreciate all input from everyone. I don’t normally struggle with mechanic work like I have with this clutch issue. I have built a lot of bikes over the years. Owned more Yamaha’s than any other manufacturer. Mostly dirt bikes. I had a R5 Yamaha and a highly modified RZ350 I rode. The RZ350 was the last street bike I rode. Lately I been building Rupp mini bikes, tiny motorized bikes and Go-Peds. The tiny motorized bikes are very popular and sell fast. They are tiny, built from clowns bicycle and Go-Ped parts, will wheelie at touch of throttle. I don’t mind sharing pictures of my builds. I’m really impressed with the work mopedarmy members do with their mopeds. Wish now I kept the 40T I had. I’m wanting too build a moped, trying to talk my girlfriend into getting a moped or small cc motorcycle to ride with me. She had shoulder surgery and is afraid of crashing. She’s never owned or ridden a motorcycle in her life. She doesn’t know the joy of riding a motorcycle. And that’s really sad. She’s older than me!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Added fluids this morning. Tried for over an hour to start the engine with no luck. I have spark. Tried removing plug put a little gas on plug, nothing. I tried putting the engine in gear and push bike and still nothing. This Team Calamari Racing engine has been nothing but a nightmare for me. I never in my life had the problems I’m having from this DT50 engine. Nothing has worked out right for me.

Gas should go IN THE PLUG HOLE , not on the plug . On the plug could easily foul that plug .

I done put 3 different plugs in. And tried pouring a little gas in spark plug hole. 2 of the plugs were new out of box. I’m having to rest. I almost fell out from pushing the bike in gear. Thought I was going to have a heart attack. I’m wore out having to rest a few minutes. I have the spark plug out letting cylinder dry out. I was riding the DT50 every day. It ran great. I found a complete DT50 engine on eBay and bought it to built to race spec by Team Calamari Racing all I heard from them was what they couldn’t do. They built my engine the way they wanted too, not what I wanted at all. I waited months for them to complete the engine and get it installed and discover there’s a clutch issue, now that I think I have the clutch issue corrected I can’t get the engine to start. I’m 63 years old I been working on bikes my whole life, I never had problems like this. I’m better off putting the original engine back in the bike. It looks if want to be riding the bike again I have to pay someone to straighten the bike out or put the original engine back in bike.

I’ve made no progress. Still haven’t been able to get engine started. Lost my sense of direction and disheartened with this nightmare. It’s so disappointing too end up with so much trouble with one engine. Not sure what the problem is, or where to turn. My gut feeling is the Reed Valve Block. I’m going to install the OEM Reed Valve Block with Boyesen Reeds and see what happens. That’s simple enough and isn’t that expensive to try. Waiting on delivery of the Boyesen Reeds and gaskets. The engine has good spark. Everything is new on a newly rebuilt engine. Been reading the trouble shooting in Manual, makes me think Reed Valve Block or gasket seal. I’m thinking the Reed Valve Block is problem, Reeds stiffness or size is too much for the standard size piston and compression ratio too low to open Reeds enough for engine to start.

Could the engine be out of time some kind of way? I’m lost. The only joy I had was riding the DT50 and it’s been taken away. Now I waiting again for parts trying to fix a

second problem.

I been working on my DT50 engine. Removed the Reed Valve Block Team Calamari Racing installed during DT50 engine rebuild. I installed the OEM Yamaha DT50 Reed Valve Block with Boyesen Reed valves installed. I used some gasket material and made 2 gaskets. Installed same intake and carburetor. Different air filter.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Engine started first kick. Been riding some in driveway haven’t been out on my street yet. The engine runs great. Did a little clutch cable adjustment. I’m finally back riding again.

I been riding my DT50 since last post, 33.6 miles. Engine runs great. The aftermarket carburetor kit and aftermarket exhaust pipe seem too work fine. The carburetor is loud and then exhaust pipe takes over with a wonderful sound all the way up RPM level. I have the aftermarket carburetor kit and exhaust pipe removed. I’ve completed all the testing of parts I needed. Now I’m installing a New OEM Yamaha DT50 carburetor with jet change, OEM Yamaha DT50 intake manifold, OEM Yamaha DT50 air box and OEM Yamaha DT50 exhaust pipe. Yes, going back 100% OEM Yamaha.

I think the 49cc DT50 engine well last longer with the OEM Yamaha parts installed.

> Gary Hamil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I been riding my DT50 since last post, 33.6 miles. Engine runs great.

> The aftermarket carburetor kit and aftermarket exhaust pipe seem too

> work fine. The carburetor is loud and then exhaust pipe takes over with

> a wonderful sound all the way up RPM level. I have the aftermarket

> carburetor kit and exhaust pipe removed. I’ve completed all the testing

> of parts I needed. Now I’m installing a New OEM Yamaha DT50 carburetor

> with jet change, OEM Yamaha DT50 intake manifold, OEM Yamaha DT50 air

> box and OEM Yamaha DT50 exhaust pipe. Yes, going back 100% OEM Yamaha.

>

> I think the 49cc DT50 engine well last longer with the OEM Yamaha parts

> installed.

So are you selling all the go-fast stuff you're not gonna use or what

image.jpg

This is how DT50 looks with parts removed. And parts I’m installing.

image.jpg

Yes I would sell the aftermarket carburetor kit, aftermarket Reed Valve Block and aftermarket exhaust pipe. I’m a eBay seller was thinking about listing the aftermarket parts for sell. I already seen what a 49cc engine do with the aftermarket parts when I install the OEM Yamaha parts I will understand better how much of the horsepower gain came from the aftermarket parts. My big thing is keeping the DT50 Original OEM condition. If you’re interested in the aftermarket parts let me know.

Congratulations what a saga

Been busy today. Got OEM Yamaha parts installed. Like throttle cable, hooking up hoses, gas tank, seat, side covers. Had to remove rear tire and shock to install air box. That took a while. I’m at a stopping point for today.

image.jpg

Was sunny and warm today. Got the DT50 back together and running with OEM Yamaha parts installed. Is more powerful than a stock DT50 engine but down on power without aftermarket carburetor kit and pipe. But the power band is much wider and useable with OEM Yamaha parts installed, lot less gear changes, able to stay in gears longer, manage RPM level in gears with lag with OEM Yamaha parts installed. The DT50 engine runs great. Been out about 12 miles on the DT50 today.

image.jpg
image.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account