Minarelli engine part?

Just finished reassembly of my V1, but what the hell is this? Followed the engine rebuild in the wiki, but I’m not seeing this thing. Need to know if it has to be opened up again before I add fluid.

Maybe 1/2” tall...about 3/8” diameter.

1F20B90C-4B06-4C56-9392-AF29E425705F.jpeg

Re: Minarelli engine part?

Looks , for all the world , like a wrist pin bearing .

Break out the tools again!

todd amundson /

You’re kidding us right?

If you're not kidding, don't even attempt to start it. I mean, you probably shoulda noticed your piston just flopping around on the rod, but if you didn't, and try to start it, you'll definitely hear it.

And say goodbye to that parmakit.

Well, no...I’m not kidding. Damn that hurts to admit. Cylinder isn’t on yet though, just the lower case back together. Cylinder needs some “finishing “ first. So good, this piece isn’t gonna make me redo anything though.

Tweaker trash /

I hate when that happens

Here ya go.

Screenshot_20210314-210405~3.png

Thanks, Baird. Had that diagram pulled up, but when I expand it on my screen, the resolution is total shit. I’m just hoping I have the lower end right, things seem to turn fine...all shims were accounted for...stator plate will more than likely need adjusting, but hopefully that’s the worst thing.

At some point this week the cylinder will get some work done on it and all reassembled. Unfortunately it’ll get broke in with stock exhaust and a dellorto 16-16 sha I have laying around.

That part is a needle bearing. The older ones used a bronze bushing, which I like better, because they don't explode in a million pieces if they fail. But they mostly don't fail anyway. Mostly...

Make sure you jet that dellorto correctly, don't want to seize the engine. Did you find a 16mm intake? Or are you running it on an aftermarket 15mm?

I have a 19mm phbg intake along with a sha adapter...haven’t tried to fit any of the 3 together yet.

The plan is to get a 19 polini along with whatever exhaust I decide on.

I do have an assortment of dellorto jets, but I don’t plan on running it much at all this way....make sure it works, get it timed and then place an expensive order.

My kids can wait another year to get braces, right?

> Skip Allen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> My kids can wait another year to get braces, right?

Invisalign offers 'easy' monthly payments . ;)

Motherfucker!!!

Got everything together and on. But the clutch cable was shot...scavenged for another that was usable to get it fired. Done.

No spark. Pulled magneto, cleaned and adjusted points (think they weren’t closing). Got spark!

Opened petcock and spun with a drill. The ugly little fucker fired right up. And then the nut proceeded to back off and my woodruff key sheered.

Motherfucker!

Guess I have a date with scrap metal and the bench grinder later

> Skip Allen Wrote:

> Motherfucker!!!

>

> Got everything together and on. But the clutch cable was

> shot...scavenged for another that was usable to get it fired. Done.

>

> No spark. Pulled magneto, cleaned and adjusted points (think they

> weren’t closing). Got spark!

>

> Opened petcock and spun with a drill. The ugly little fucker fired right

> up. And then the nut proceeded to back off and my woodruff key sheered.

>

> Motherfucker!

>

> Guess I have a date with scrap metal and the bench grinder later

Are you saying you're going to try to make a woodruff key? Just order a pack of 25 of the size you need from McMaster Carr for like $10

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> > Skip Allen Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Motherfucker!!!

>

> >

>

> > Got everything together and on. But the clutch cable was

>

> > shot...scavenged for another that was usable to get it fired. Done.

>

> >

>

> > No spark. Pulled magneto, cleaned and adjusted points (think they

>

> > weren’t closing). Got spark!

>

> >

>

> > Opened petcock and spun with a drill. The ugly little fucker fired

> right

>

> > up. And then the nut proceeded to back off and my woodruff key

> sheered.

>

> >

>

> > Motherfucker!

>

> >

>

> > Guess I have a date with scrap metal and the bench grinder later

>

> Are you saying you're going to try to make a woodruff key? Just order a

> pack of 25 of the size you need from McMaster Carr for like $10

Or get a close match from the local hardware and 'adjust' . Worked for me in just a couple minutes .

Or , lap the flywheel to the crank and forget the key . ;) (edited)

I made one out of a pin from a chain once. But you could just go to ace hardware and get the right one.

Autozone....lapping compound....done

Well good on McMaster, got my keys already. I hope I don’t need all 25!

Got it to fire for all of about 10 seconds....then died. Couldn’t get it going again. Still have spark, although plug looked very wet. Tried another, still nothing. Have good compression so nothing got broke...hopefully.

Put it away before I did something stupid.

Probably need to go ahead and place a big order...proper carb, exhaust, and new tires.

Speaking of carb, what range of jets should I get? 80cc kit, probably a circuit pipe of some sort and looking at a 19 or 21 polini carb.

Maybe add some crank seals to the order, condenser n u can look on the tuners spreadsheet for jets, 87-96

Shit, forgot about the spreadsheet.

Had the case split, put in new bearings and seals....doesn’t mean everything (or anything) is right, but it’s got new ones in it.

It did look as though it would cough out the carb at times when trying to fire. Is that a sign of something specific? Way too constricted exhaust?

Check your flywheel key if you did not torque the nut to specs. I've seen this happen on other engines. The key only serves to position the flywheel, proper torque locks it in position. Your flywheel could have shifted if your key sheared.

For the polini CP, I run an 85 jet in my 19mm on my Cimatti, and a 95 to 102 in my 21mm on my race bike, depending on the track.

The stock slow jets work fine in the 19, I think I went a size bigger in the 21, but the stock one worked ok.

Looks like I’ll be ordering carb, exhaust, and tires. Probably a cable pack too.

Until then, I just need to walk away from this thing....trying to get it running with stock exhaust and an old 16/16 sha...who knows what’s really going on.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account