Reinstall cam

I am going to change condenser on my Motobecane 7. I will remove cam with a puller supposedly for this purpose. I’ve never done it but I think I understand the pull part. But once I finish how do I reinstall the cam? I’ve found nothing on this. Thx

49EBCD99-DC2B-41EE-8357-E6358A12EF0B.jpeg

Re: Reinstall cam

Put it back on. Tighten down flywheel with an impact or use a piston stop or strap wrench to stop the motor from turning while you tighten

is there a wooruff key? Id carefully mark it even on the other side, make a bunch of marks and look up motobecane timing. When i tighten ill line it up with the spark plug out and do slight impacts and let that flywheel spin, the impact action is plenty for that 25 ft lbs or so.

Tweaker trash /

There is a wiki on this!

Yea keep is simple make a line with a paint marker across the cam and bolt threads

Only do a radius mark* like photo

39D8733B-0B6F-468B-AA2B-93D03B9BE9DA.jpeg

Thanks for your reply, which I think also may answer another question. So the act of removing the rotor could change the timing, unless I keep the piston from moving and put the thing back on in the same position it came off.

Thanks for your answer, I do not believe there is a wooruff key.

Once I get thru this, I suspect I'll have a timing question.

Re: Reinstall cam - Timing

So, having finished the bike won't start. I want to check points. I see various references to the piston being a 1.5 mm before top dead center. Where does that measurement start? from the bottom of the spark plug hole, or from the top of the spark plug holed?

Re: Reinstall cam - Timing

before top dead center

Should tell you something . ;)

Make sure the points start to open at 1 inch of flywheel travel before top dead center. Check this with a screwdrive or pencil in the sparkplug hole. If not, take the cam back off and tap it on lightly and check again. I've used this method for years. It works.

Check out David Fixes His Shit on YouTube. One of the episodes for Motobecane restoration has a great guide on removing the cam, doing the timing and reinstalling the cam. David uses a multimeter that I think only works on 6v systems. I ended up using a timing tool and feeler gauge. I recently went through this, so let me know if you have any question.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account