Honda Urban Express Nu50

What's up everybody,

Extremely new here to the forum and the hobby in general.

I just picked up an '82 Urban Urban express Nu50 for cheap. Doesn't run.

Everything is original. Unfortunately, didn't come with an exhaust or air filter tho.

Definitely want to keep as much of a stock look as possible. Not looking for crazy speed either. Just a nice smooth chill ride.

Cleaned out the rust in the gas tank. Planning on cleaning out the carb next. Hopefully, I don't fuck that up. Is it worth it to even clean this thing? I've read that it's pretty reliant on the airbox for proper flow or whatever.

Does anybody have a good set of links for parts for this thing? It's almost impossible to find an exhaust with a decent price range. Good carb recommends? I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible so bolt ons preferred. Welding maybe. Not trying to cut anything.

Havent seen anything on this bike lately so thought I'd refresh for any one else with a NU50 as well.

Thanks.

IMG_4834.jpg

Re: Honda Urban Express Nu50

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I'd keep it all stock. A clean, all stock moped, will always be worth more.

DSCN1343.JPG

I really enjoyed my piped, bx31 and variator modded NU50. Slapped a Proma GP chamber on a stock header and it was ripping to around 37 on flats with great get up and go.

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

If that thing kicks over, it'll probably start with just a carb cleaning. It's also pretty hard to fuck up a carb cleaning. The hoses can dry up and become brittle, so be careful removing them. They only really go back one way, but take note of what goes where. It will probably be fine without the air ox, but check the plug frequently for a while after getting it going.

I would only replace one thing at a time, so maybe just replace the missing pipe for now. Treats has plenty of pipes for these bikes. $200 seems like a decent price, especially considering the whole bike was $150.

The battery is likely dead, you can order a replacement from Amazon for like $20.

Definitely dig the stock look. You got any extra parts?

Im pretty sure it kicks. Got a hit on a stock muffler for it. I was looking into the weakends exhaust but they are all sold out. Might get a small 25mm filter to put over it.

Ill try the carb clean. Little project for the weekend. How did you know it was 150?

Thanks man

What do you think of the variator mod? Did you just take out every other weight? I'm looking into the bx31. Hows the accel on that? I'm looking for less top speed and more punch. City Driving, lots of lights.

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

> Joe Yabuki Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How did you know it was 150?

I saw it on OfferUp and thought about buying it. I may have a stock pipe, but don't know or remember. I'll check later.

There are a couple easy upgrades people suggest for cheap speed, like the bx31 belt and a gy6 clutch so you can play with different springs. I really recommend just getting it going as is first. You shouldn't have to open anything up besides the carb, and that's easy enough to get to and clean.

You may want to hit this button, it'll make reading through threads easier.

Screenshot_20210326-130111_Chrome2.jpg

> Hepatitis J [OFMC] Wrote:

> > Joe Yabuki Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > How did you know it was 150?

>

> I saw it on OfferUp and thought about buying it. I may have a stock

> pipe, but don't know or remember. I'll check later.

>

> There are a couple easy upgrades people suggest for cheap speed, like

> the bx31 belt and a gy6 clutch so you can play with different springs. I

> really recommend just getting it going as is first. You shouldn't have

> to open anything up besides the carb, and that's easy enough to get to

> and clean.

>

> You may want to hit this button, it'll make reading through threads

> easier.

> >

Hey man that would be sick if you did have one. Def let me know. And oh shit you are in my area.

Carb cleaning it is then, I'll probably get to it this weekend (if my daughter allows me.) I got a battery, new spark plug and a new petcock and fuel filter on the way. Ill probably drain the oil and give it some fresh stuff as well. I'll check back in when I get around to it.

THANKS!

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

> Joe Yabuki Wrote:

> THANKS!

No problem, I bet it starts right up.

I'll let you know about the pipe.

downloadfile-31.jpg

> > Joe Yabuki Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > THANKS!

>

> No problem, I bet it starts right up.

>

> I'll let you know about the pipe.

> >

Ayyyyy you know what’s up!

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

Sorry, homie. No pipe.

> Sorry, homie. No pipe.

All Good. Thanks for checking!

Cleaned the carb out. It was filled with what I can only imagine was rusty bad gas and sediment. Waiting on a new petcock and battery. Probably going to install all those and give it an oil change when everything comes in. See if that will get her going.

The cylinder head looks pretty oily. Probably want to replace the gaskets or should I replace the whole thing?

Anyone ever wire a starter on these? Probably going to address that soon as well.

IMG_5035.jpg

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

i would just swap out the gaskets. I've never wired a starter up for one. The service manual should have everything you need.

Rusty Shackleford /

Don't let the fender kill you dead

Care to elaborate?

Rusty Shackleford /

Did you not read ancient forums from 6 years ago?

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,3968671,page=1

Haven't dug that deep. I guess that's something to see if I can prevent. I'm running it straight city concrete. Shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for the heads up!

These little motors vibrate , a lot .

Always check nuts and bolts for a good snug fit . ALWAYS .

Loctite is your friend . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account